Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just done my daily Code: emerge -uD world and it's emerged the latest kernel version (2.6.11-gentoo-r9). I'd like to have a go at compiling this manually. I've found an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Manual install of new kernel ???

I've just done my daily
    Code:
    emerge -uD world
    and it's emerged the latest kernel version (2.6.11-gentoo-r9).

I'd like to have a go at compiling this manually. I've found an excellent utility called xconfig, so that if I do
    Code:
    make xconfig
    I get a nice GUI facility that also tells me what the various choices are.

My question is, that as I only have a limited amount of knowledge of my hardware, can I presume that if I haven't heard of a certain technology, it's probable that I won't need to select it for kernel or module support ??

As my system is nothing fancy i.e. Normal ATA/Eide hard drive, network card, USB 1.1 ports, plus the usuals like pentium 4, a SBLive! 5.1 digital card, nvidia graphics card, DVDrom, CDRW etc etc.

regards

John

Linux Engineer
    I always use the menuconfig, and at least there it's a help option which explains what the option will do.

If you select an option, it should display the help in the xconfig. It will give you an overview, and most will give you a suggestion.

I also prefer menuconfig, as it's cleaner for me, but to each his own.

Just remember that once you update, change the /usr/src/linux symlink to the new sources, and re-emerge any modules.