Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by budman7 Long compile times on older machines can be a problem. Right now I am compiling frozen-bubble on a old piece of crap machine. 3 1/2 hrs. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Long compile times on older machines can be a problem. Right now I am compiling frozen-bubble on a old piece of crap machine.
    3 1/2 hrs. so far compiling x11-libs/qt-3.3 and that is only one dependency.
    I am hoping this will be done in the morning.
    That alone is a huge reason why many don't attempt it. I know it would take ages to compile Gentoo on my old PIII 450. And unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of keeping the machine down for that length of time. Keeping that in mind, it's not surprising that many don't try Gentoo.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux Newbie
    I tried to install Gentoo stage 3 from CD four times and failed each time ...

Someday I'll find time to try it again...

Just to reply to whoever said it's impossible to install in the first 1000 tries...

I did it my first time. :P.

Sorry.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    yes i know its obvious to most experienced nixers
    but the point remains

most linux users i know don't take gentoo seriously
    having the attitude its good for server use and that's it
    i guess its just the lack of gentoo awareness to a majority
    of the linux community

I myself was once a windower *shudders* and then being taught
    linux throughout classes at TAFE I saw the light as most would say....

to be honest theres not much linux can't do in relation to most things these days

but there is always the issue of driver and game compatibility .... im sure this won't be a problem in the future when most people realize windows isn't the only way to do things...

just my thoughts

exeqt 05

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by *DEAD*
    i think i have a highend machine
    8 gigs of ram
    western digital 160 gig hd
    seagate 120 gig hd
    external 1 TB hd (
    AMD xf
    sli geforces
    lol bla bla bla nomatter what i think i still win.
    ...bs

=----------------------------------------------------------------------------------=
    Umm anyway, im gonna get flamed for this. I used Gentoo for a while, and then I decided, what the hell Im I doing? It takes 40 minutes to use a browser, compare this to rpm (yes I know, not the best example) or debian pkg based distros or even slackware's swaret for that matter. People use Gentoo to look cool, and cool is irrelevant. If you want to look cool by today's standards, why dont you listen to some bad music, there's plenty of it (50 Cent, Ludacris, Rap the Genre, modern rock). Anyway back to package managers, compiling by source might make you feel good at first, but in the long run, it'll make you bitter and twisted.
    These are my made up estimates to show you how long it takes to download firefox on 2mbs Cable @ 250kbs and install using a package manager.

Portage = 40-60mins
    Apt-Get = About 2-4mins
    Swaret = Same
    Yum = Same

Oh no Gentoo, looks like every distro wins it, apart from you. So all this tuning and tweaking is for what? So a system can run 0.2 seconds faster, I used to use Gentoo, so I have the right to have my say. Thank you.

Linux Engineer
    Well, you have absolutely right about portage beeing slower than the other package managers, but most of us aren't doing this because of the extra speed. Most of us use gentoo because of the control over your system, when you get forced to fine-tune everything yourself, everything works the way you want it to when your done, meaning that you won't have to dig through all the config-files of your system right after the innstallation to get things working your way. Besides, if you emerge it the first time, no one has ever forced you to upgrade it if you don't want to

But I am NOT critisizing binary distros OR your opinion by any means, the distros are all good in their own way and everybody has a right to speech, right?

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Hell yes, you have, I have, everyone has rights to freedom of speech. That's why I put my opinion across.

Linux User
    the install for gentoos killing me... i think ill skip this distro untill im better with linux

Yes, Gentoo can be hard.
    I reinstalled at least 10 times before I got it right.
    It does require a bit of patience.
    I probably have could have cut that in half, some of the things I thought were errors in the way I installed weren't errors at all, just needed to go one more step and finish it.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

SCO
    Just Joined!
    I give Gentoo one thing though, it's very addictive, thanks to the tree of portage. I reinstalled it over 6 times before I came to my senses.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast