Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Gentoo is not really that bad. Especially to learn about the Linux OS. I use Gentoo all the time and not because it looks cool. There are plenty of Distros ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Gentoo is not really that bad. Especially to learn about the Linux OS. I use Gentoo all the time and not because it looks cool. There are plenty of Distros out there that look cooler than Gentoo. Take for instance SUSE, it looks very cool but I have to agree that Gentoo gives you more control over your system. It also gives you practice with Linux commands. People dont use Gentoo because it is very hard to install and it requires tremendous patience. Especially to tune your system to what you want it to be like. For those of us who do use Gentoo, you can call us anal. We like it the way we like it. Just my opinion.
    Registered user #372186 -- http://counter.li.org

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Actually, when alot of zelaots think SuSE, they think Newbie. This is not the case by the way, it's a system that can fit your needs more flexibly than others. Im saying people think they look cool when they use Gentoo, because they see text scrolling across there screens involving a popular compiler. I can see it now; 14 year old sitting at his desk compiling a kernel and bobbing his head to 50 Cent, while thinking he's something special. Big deal. Nobody cares. I know alot of adults use Gentoo, but have you noticed that Gentoo has more teenagers in it's camp than any other distro? For you people with pubes who use Gentoo, I recommend using FreeBSD. They have a larger, and wiser community, and they are generally quite nice.

http://freebsd.org
    http://bsdforums.org

SCO, is there any reason that you're consistently insulting us?

I used SuSE before Gentoo, and I have never said anything bad about it. Nor has anyone in this thread, as far as I see. In fact, I routinely recommend it as the best new-user distro I've ever used.

I use Gentoo because I like having control, I like source-based distros, and I like having an easy-to-use package manager. I don't want to be cool, I didn't use it because other people did.

SuSE is easier to use than Gentoo. Hence, it is recommended to many users. Gentoo, I feel, is more flexible. So some users switch to flexible distros once they're more familiar with Linux. No one is saying SuSE is a bad distro or that only new users use it.

So get off your high horse, stop insulting teenagers (I'm 17, and for the record, I hate rap), and realize that the only one insulting anyone else or any distro here is you.

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Im not trying to insult anyone, when I was using gentoo, I got insulted a hell of alot, from kids. Im talking 13/14/15/16/17 year olds. Oh wait, you fit into that catogrey.

Linux Engineer
    You are insulting everyone. Not only with your nonsense, but also with your mental age. Get over it already. Nobody wants to hear you whine.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    Hmm... In the time I've spent in these forums I don't think I've seen any harsh remarks directed at anyone. That was until now. SCO, to me and obviously to others, it seems like you are trying to start a flamewar. I agree that you are blatantly trying to insult the gentoo users in this community. What's the old saying that your mom used to tell you? Oh yeah, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Please Please, I really dont, want to lose my temper. Before you come out with more cunning sarcasm ("Im really scared"), I honestly dont. Not for your sake, but for mine. Retired1af, what the hell is that supposed to mean? My mental age? Im 24 and I hate kids. Thats a mental and physical age. Just drop it, please NO more digs, drop IT. I expressed my first opinion fairly. Now YOU live with that.

Linux Engineer
    I rest my case....
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

SCO
    Just Joined!
    Drop it. Please drop it now.

Linux Newbie
    If you take a look at the amount of posts in these forums and compare. Most of the users on these forums use either Red Hat, FC, or Mandrake. Where are you getting your facts that most users are using Gentoo. You really do sound like a 14 year old. Please use your time to learn to be nicer and to not start these stupid flame wars. Its very annoying and ignorant.
    Registered user #372186 -- http://counter.li.org

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast