Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by whisker ive posted the problem before and the answers didnt work before but if u can help thatd be great. when gentoo loads to a graphical interface, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by whisker
    ive posted the problem before and the answers didnt work before but if u can help thatd be great. when gentoo loads to a graphical interface, the screen just turns into multicolored fllickering lines. this happens on a couple of the the other distros ive tried too
    Have you tried running "xorgconfig" and puutting in the exact spesifications for your monitor? And you're sure you're using the correct display-drivers?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    ive posted the problem before and the answers didnt work before but if u can help thatd be great. when gentoo loads to a graphical interface, the screen just turns into multicolored fllickering lines. this happens on a couple of the the other distros ive tried too
    Have you tried running "xorgconfig" and puutting in the exact spesifications for your monitor? And you're sure you're using the correct display-drivers?
    where would i run xorgconfig..during setup or when gentoo is loaded?
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    where would i run xorgconfig..during setup or when gentoo is loaded?
    You run it inside gentoo, either in a chroot enviroment or when gentoo is booted. There you spesify the specs of the monitor, mouse type etc etc. Remember, the ps/2 style mouses are located in /dev/psaux in gentoo, not /dev/mouse. Also, you may have to modify the config-file after running xorgconfig to add support for things like DRI, GLX and mouse-wheels.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I used to have problems like this, one of the most important things to get right are the monitor's vertical and horizontal sync settings, check your manual, or on the sticker on the back of your monitor, odds are that if you get this right, you will be able to at least go graphical. If not hit ctl-alt-f1 and you will see what the x-server is trying to do...post the error in a new help message here and we will get you through it
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux User
    thanks but im gonna wait till i get my new comp (sometime this month?) before i mess with gentoo. the peice of crap im working with right now isnt worth the time.... :P
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, whisker - Gentoo is definitely more work and time intensive than most distros, especially during the initial installation. Don't blame you for wanting to wait until you get the right computer. Good luck with it when that happens!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3