Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
when i first set up gentoo using a (cant remeber name) #3 installation i made a 512 swap disk. i just got my 1 TB hd today and im on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

whats a good swap size

when i first set up gentoo using a (cant remeber name) #3 installation i made a 512 swap disk. i just got my 1 TB hd today and im on a mission to have the most distros(lol dont ask). i just need to know what a good swap size is. in the examble its 512, but hell i can have 50 gigs if i want. i just need to know how much swap is needed these days without being exessive.
    also can the same swap be used for all my distros, or do they each need their own

If I were you I would make it double the size of your ram.
    And yes you can use a single swap partition for as many distros as you want.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Newbie
    woo hoo 16 gb swap just cause i can, and im obsessed with RAM

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Actually, with that amount of ram, you shouldn't even need a swap partition. You can put another distro in place of the swap.

Just curious how big are you going to make the partitions on this hard drive.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Actually, with that amount of ram, you shouldn't even need a swap partition. You can put another distro in place of the swap.

Just curious how big are you going to make the partitions on this hard drive.
    yeah if you have to much swap, you *could* slow your computer down
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Newbie
    How is swap going to slow you down? I thought that linux uses as much memory first then to swap space. Maybe with windows..
    Registered Linux user #390336

Just Joined!
    1 TB harddrive is that a single drive what spec machine do you have sounds like a beast

Linux Newbie
    from what you can c from my signature i have an AMD fx-55 (not cheap), sli geforces, a cheap soundblaster (NEVER BUY FROM SOUNDBLASTER, they only make windows drivers, i still havent got my left and right sound channels working). as for as my other crap, 2 hd i salvaged from old comps, a 120 gig, and a 160. a brand new 1 TB external drive (lol 900$ down), 8 gigs of ram (yes it is possible), and an old mother board i was able to salvage from a nother comp, actually it wasnt that old, cause it had sli, room for four hard drives, and some sweet other junk. btw the external hd can still connect by serial, so im goin to cut a whole in the box. its air cooled, couldnt trust water with my system.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley/g
    How is swap going to slow you down? I thought that linux uses as much memory first then to swap space. Maybe with windows..
    swap runs much slower than ram...plus with 512mb or higher you can just comment out or use the swapoff command...try an high-end game w/ & w/o swap, w/o you will notice much more speed
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie
    Your swap space should be equal to the amount of RAM that you have.
    Registered user #372186 -- http://counter.li.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast