Find the answer to your Linux question:
ive never had more than 4 partions on a HD(mainly cause i have so many little 40 giggers lying around) and now that i need to partion my 1 TB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

more than 4 partions with fdisk

ive never had more than 4 partions on a HD(mainly cause i have so many little 40 giggers lying around) and now that i need to partion my 1 TB hd ill need LOTS. i understand that there can only be 4 primary drives, then there are the extensions, and then the logic which are extentions inside the extentions. can i just use fdisk to make say hda5, or will i have to do something special

What you should do is make 4 primaries and 1 extended. And then make logical drives to your hearts content within the extended.
    BTW I would cfdisk if I were you, it is a little better IMO.

p.s. I am totally envious of you to have such a hard drive.
    How much did it cost?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Newbie
    i have no idea how to create partions like that. could you please give me a couple options on how to do that.
    does cfdisk come with the gentoo universal disk, if so ill use that cause i agree, it is better

Linux Newbie
    $900, all that money i saved from not buying m$. lol. no actually i take old crap computers and mix/match parts to make good computers, well relatively good, then i put linux on them and rent/sell them as game servers. its a great way to make money.

To use cfdisk, just type cfdisk instead of fdisk.

When I installed Gentoo, the handbook said to use fdisk, but I just had trouble figuring it out.
    So I used cfdisk.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Newbie
    lol, i meant making logic partions. i have no clue how to do it, im sifting thru guitds right now but i must be missing the good ones, lol. could you please give me a short command or something and im sure i can figure it out from there. and im assuming that the master has to be the entire hd, and so does the extended, then the logics break up the extended[/code]

Once you bring up cfdisk, and you click on "new" you will be asked what kind of partition this is, then you will be asked what size you want it to be.
    There is a row of selections on the bottom.
    When you are done making partitions, make sure to use the Write and then Quit. Then Reboot.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Newbie
    lol never even bothered to look, just went with default cause i new it worked. ok thx