Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I'm a Gentoo beginner.... I run Gentoo 2.6.12 on a basic PC, (PIII 500 mHtz, 256 RAM...) I had the whole Gentoo OS working fine, using Gnome for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

using KVM Switch, 'cannot display this resolution'...anymore

Hello!
    I'm a Gentoo beginner.... I run Gentoo 2.6.12 on a basic PC, (PIII 500 mHtz, 256 RAM...) I had the whole Gentoo OS working fine, using Gnome for the graphic mode. I now use a 2 port Auto KVM Switch, (made by Bona Computech), and it says now 'cannot display this resolution', when I run Gnome. I've read some previous threads and saw that the solution may be linked to the XFConfig86 file. Do I have to configure anything in this file ?
    thanx.

P.S: I first posted this thread as an answer to a forum member that seemed to have the same problem as me.... I figured out it wasn't the proper place to ask question... that's why I'm doing it here now.

Just Joined!

Erratum... my mistake

Ok... it's been a week and 1/2 I'm seeking solutions for a problem I haven't formulated with the right terms : the message I get when I switch on Gentoo, and I want the graffic environment, is not 'cannot display this resolution' as I mentionned it first, but, 'cannot use this display mode', (actually, it's in french and it says:"impossible d'utiliser ce mode d'affichage"). I guess it changes the direction of the reflexion... If U have any ideas...

Linux Engineer
    Have you tried reconfiguring XFree86 (or xorg if you're using that) On xfree you would run "XF86Config" or something similar, while with xorg you would run "xorgconfig". Type in the exact specs of your monitor, and if it can't take the resolution it calculated, make it run at lower specs. Also, remember to edit the config file later if you want 3D accel or wheel-mosue etc.