Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey 1. sorry my bad english. i have installed gentoo linux, but after restarting, i get these messages: Bringing eth0 up via dhcp... [!!] ERROR: problem starting needed services. "netmount" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network dosent work after install

hey 1. sorry my bad english.

i have installed gentoo linux, but after restarting, i get these messages:

Bringing eth0 up via dhcp... [!!]

ERROR: problem starting needed services.
    "netmount" was not started.
    i have installed dhcpcd nad my /etc/config.d/net looks like this:

iface_eth0="dhcp"
    dhcpcd_eth0="-HDN"

i have tried a lot of things, but et wont work. when i run lsmod i don't get any results
    i have tried to enable my network device in make menuconfig (i chose to compuile it into the kernel) and after that i ran "make" but it still dosent work.

i will be happy if anyone can help

Linux Engineer
    You say you ran "make", but you remembered to reinstall the kernel after rebuilding it? You also remembered to run /sbin/lilo if you use LILO?

Just Joined!
    i use grub as boot loader. and how can i reintall the kernel?

i

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by noeyewar
    i use grub as boot loader. and how can i reintall the kernel?
    The same way you innstalled it in the first place; if you have your kernel in /boot/vmlinuz you can just run "make install" from /usr/src/linux, but if you manually placed your kernel in /boot (that's how the manual did it) you have to re-do these steps to get the new kernel into /boot:

Code:
    # cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3
    # cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.11-gentoo-r3
    cp .config /boot/config-2.6.11-gentoo-r3
    (thos over are takin from the gentoo manual, replace /boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3 with your kernel, /boot/System.map-2.6.11-gentoo-r3 with the location of your system.map and /boot/config-2.6.11-gentoo-r3 is just optional, and can be put wherever you want it.

Linux Engineer
    alot of people have problems with manually configuring their kernel and their nics. if all else fails you can try the genkernel option, which will definately work with your nic, then you can manually use menuconfig with genkernel in order to see which options genkernel has enabled to get your nic to work and then custom compile a kernel with those exact options and drop the rest of the genkernel options that are not needed.

Also, maybe if you tell us what type of nic you are using, someone here may have encountered similar problems and may be able to help; e.g., my laptop uses pcmcia xircom chipset, which was a ***** to setup...I couldn't get it to work within the kernel without using a modulized kernel ...some things can be tricky; however, it will definately work if you persevere.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    :drown: good lord, I am stupid. I has the same problem when I last attempted to install gentoo, and I didn't think to look at the genkernel for help. thank you, genesus,