Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently compiled gentoo linux on my dell Dimension 8400. as of right now I can run Xserver, and have basic graphical functionality, but I cannot laod any 3d graphics ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Full functionality on a Radeon x300

I recently compiled gentoo linux on my dell Dimension 8400. as of right now I can run Xserver, and have basic graphical functionality, but I cannot laod any 3d graphics (ie: games) I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get drivers for my ati Radeon x300?

Linux Engineer
    Maybe the ATI site? I got mine from there, but the freaking things don't work... Anyway, good luck.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Thanks, and yeah if I had the funds, I would switch to an nvidia graphics card, but as of right now my $300 is going towards an mp3 player. I'm really getting tired of having no luck with google search... anyone else know?

Linux Engineer
    - Boy... Never heard about ATI?
    - So their website would be ati.com?
    - No... You must be kidding me!
    - Yes, let me show you, it works!
    - Wow!

I hope you can get past your laziness... Otherwise Linux ain't nothing for you, I'm sorry.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...ge&folderID=27

Linux Engineer
    I may have a bit old videocard (ATI Radeon 7000), but in Xorg DRI works perfectly with the "radeon" driver. I would try that if I were you.

Also, you said Xserver. I suppose you use xorg, but if you actually use the X-server named "Xserver", correct me.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    - Boy... Never heard about ATI?
    - So their website would be ati.com?
    - No... You must be kidding me!
    - Yes, let me show you, it works!
    - Wow!

I hope you can get past your laziness... Otherwise Linux ain't nothing for you, I'm sorry.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...ge&folderID=27
    That's not what I meant, I know very well the ati site, and etc... You don't need to be an ass about it, and when I become lazy, I'll let you know

Linux Engineer
    Don't take it personal... I just got the impression you were too lazy to look... Anyway, half of the time the driver doesn't work... I've tried two or tree times to install it, never worked, went through all the howtos I could find, no help. So I just gave up, I didn't pick Linux for gaming anyway... There's good ole Windows for

Just Joined!
    Alright, good to hear, I'm not choosing linux for gaming either, I'm just looking into linux in general. I am stumbling blindly in the dark with linux after growing up around windows systems. I just wanted to experiment with something other than the great satan. right now I'm just trying to elarn how to get everything working correctly so i ntime I can use linux seriously, I have seen some pretty amazing things done with it. Not to mention having even basic knowldge on linux is a great thing to have if yo uare going into a job based around computers. Ironically I have windows installed on this same comp, I simply resized my windows partition and compiled gentoo.

Linux Engineer
    As long as you don't use TuxRacer or similar Linux 3D-games, or plan on playing Doom3 or Quake, you don't need the 3d driver... You won't notice its absence (except when you use OpenGL, like for screensavers...). SuSE 9.3 comes standard with both the ATI and nVidia 3D drivers, although they are hidden very well it seems (they are said not to show up at all in the OS install menu).

Linux Engineer
    emerge -av ati-drivers ati-drivers-extra

and follow this howto closly:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI_Drivers