Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi: I have just switched to Vida Linux Gentoo after years of using Windows, so please forgive my ignorance. The person who made the installation seems to have configured things ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Totally new to linux

Hi: I have just switched to Vida Linux Gentoo after years of using Windows, so please forgive my ignorance. The person who made the installation seems to have configured things so that I cannot log in as root. I was able to download Firestarter through Portage, but when I tried to launch the application, I got the message that I needed "root privileges". Is there any way that I can finish this installation as a regular user? If not, would I be secure enough without a firewall? I am just a regular client with no remote services running. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

If it's your computer (meaning not a business, but a personal computer), I highly recommend that you obtain the root password from your friend, as you will need it.

For the record, you can switch to root in the terminal by running the "su" command and typing the root password.

The only other thing I can think of is sudo. I don't know quite how it works, but you might want to look into it. From my understanding, it allows you to run certain commands with root privileges without actually being root.

Just Joined!
    I will check out sudo. Thanks for your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Notice that to use sudo, you may have to setup /etc/sudoers first (if not done by default in vidalinux, I am not sure)...

Also, you said you were able to download firestarter over portage? Was'nt you root then?

However, if you get sudo working, you can change the root-password like this:
    Code:
    sudo passwd root

SCO
    Just Joined!
    I know vidalinux (it orginates from your location so..) is quite easy to use, but it's still based on Gentoo (more experinced user). So I would try Mandrake/Insert Newbie Distro here, because they come with nice GUI tools, to ease configuration of your computer.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by SCO
    I know vidalinux (it orginates from your location so..) is quite easy to use, but it's still based on Gentoo (more experinced user). So I would try Mandrake/Insert Newbie Distro here, because they come with nice GUI tools, to ease configuration of your computer.
    I agree, thats a lot easyer, but still you get a lot of experience by using gentoo/gentoo-based.