Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am still in the middle of installing gentoo, and am stuck in the CLI. after using emerge, I get that message. * GNU info directory index is up to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help updating system files

I am still in the middle of installing gentoo, and am stuck in the CLI. after using emerge, I get that message.
    * GNU info directory index is up to date.
    * IMPORTANT: 3 config files in /etc need updating.
    * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.
    when I type that, it only shows me the last pageful of words, which are not that helpful. would anybody care to help me out by posting what it says after they type that, or atleast just what to do without having to type that?

Linux Engineer
    Try:

Code:
    emerge --help config | less
    This will page the output to the screen one page at a time. Use your enter key to scroll to the next page.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Linux Engineer
    You are higly reccomanded to read the info the way retired1af explaint, but if you just want to get going without reading, just type this as root:
    Code:
    etc-update
    Make sure to watch the list carefully, so you won't overwrite importent files like for example /etc/fstab.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Go with what retired said. You can always append " | less" to the end of any command you type at console and it'll scroll it page by page and let you actually read the whole thing. Although I do believe that less removes color coding, which is a bit of a drag at times, but it's a small price to pay for actually being able to read what you want to