Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
DRI = Direct Rendering Infrastucture, a 3D driver used to accelerate 3D in some videocards under linux and freebsd (maybe others to). About hardware-detection, almost nothing is done automaticly under ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

DRI = Direct Rendering Infrastucture, a 3D driver used to accelerate 3D in some videocards under linux and freebsd (maybe others to). About hardware-detection, almost nothing is done automaticly under gentoo, you configure X with xorgconfig and add 3D-support manually later with a text-editor (it's easy when you find out what to do). Mouse-wheel support and such also must be manually applied. About other hardware, you simply compile in the drivers into the kernel, or create loadable modules (it's all explaint in the gentoo handbook)

Gentoo may be a PITA the first time(s) you install, but once you get it running you will have lots of knowledge of how it works (and fails), and is ultra-easy to maintain.

Linux Enthusiast
    Which stage install should I use

Linux Engineer
    Thats a subject discussed in the first parts of the gentoo handbook, look there.

Linux Enthusiast
    I have Suse on CDs and I was wondering if you could take software from the suse CDs and install the software into Gentoo. Also is there a way to get the Gentoo handbook offline

Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    I have Suse on CDs and I was wondering if you could take software from the suse CDs and install the software into Gentoo. Also is there a way to get the Gentoo handbook offline
    I don't know about using Suse software on Gentoo.
    But you could look in the Gentoo handbook for directions on emerging software from cd's.

The Gentoo handbook is available on the Gentoo Universal cd. Look in the "docs" folder.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    The gentoo handbook resides on the gentoo livecd too, but that one only explains stage3 with GRP if I remember right... I beleve portage can use RPM files (have seen it done before on my box), but it's not sure the suse packages will work since there will most likely be dependecy-conflicts because of different versions of libraries and such. But you probably wont need to install suse software, I'm pretty sure you'll find everything you need in portage.

Linux Enthusiast
    Can you download the gentoo handbook so you can view it offline

Linux Engineer
    I beleve you can, but you won't need to... Here's the all-in-one-page handbook for x86: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...intable&full=1

Maybe if you could either open it in links and just press "pkgdown" during the whole install, or maybe save it to disk in some way and access it from the livecd. Also remember that the networkless with GRP handbook lies on all the gentoo livecd's.

Linux Enthusiast
    Will gentoo run fast on a old pc

Linux Engineer
    Fast and fast... At least faster than most binary distros.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast