Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I was wondering about trying gentoo since it lets you customize it completley, but I need some help. 1.Can you install any kind of linux software 2.does it detect your ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Some Help

I was wondering about trying gentoo since it lets you customize it completley, but I need some help.

1.Can you install any kind of linux software
    2.does it detect your hardware and can you set it up to your hardware needs
    3.how easy is it to install and how do you install it

Linux Engineer
    1) yes, anything you want in any form at all, though if you choose to use the portage file all you have to do is type, e.g., to dl, compile, customize, and install is "emerge firefox"

2) if you use the genkernel method of kernel compilation in the handbook, it does autodetect almost everything for you with no problem, the exceptions may be nvidia cards and your sound card, both of which have their own step by step instructions online at the gentoo site, that can be completed even by an inexperienced user very quickly.

3) ease of install? Well, you will run into problems, all of which we can help you with, but following the handbook, using genkernel, stage3, and lilo, you should have no problems at allany you do have we can help you with though
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Enthusiast
    Which stage install should I use

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I always install from stage1, and it takes about 3 hours longer than a stage2 or stage3 on my box. By the time I get Gentoo fully installed and tweaked, it usually takes a full weekend because of the long compile times.

Either print out the handbook before beginning, or at least have access to it from another computer.

Have fun, and good luck!

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    Which stage install should I use
    well thats totally up to you to decide, and you sort of have to do a cost benefit. The first time I did a stage 3, the most recent on my main pc I did a stage 1...it was longer and required more research on my part for tweaking purposes. Stage 1 is the most customizeable install, while stage 3 is the least; however, this is only of the base system, so its still very customizeable. As the handbook says, the choices made by the developers for the stage 3 are well thought out and are probably the best for most people, so if you have any concerns or qualms maybe a stage 3 would be in order for your first time.

Linux Newbie
    I have set aside an 80 Gig hard drive for Gentoo and had tried to install it with stage 3 for the fifth times.....and screwed it up....yet again.

When it asked me to create root password, I thought I have already done that at the beginning so I wrongly concluded that it wasn't necessary...big mistake.

Now I have a partial system that won't recognize me as root user.

Linux User
    You don't have to reinstall it. Just boot up with Live CD and change the password.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    1) yes, anything you want in any form at all, though if you choose to use the portage file all you have to do is type, e.g., to dl, compile, customize, and install is "emerge firefox"
    I thought the ebuild was named mozilla-firefox? Yeah, yeah. Nothing big.

If you wonder which stage to use, the pros and cons of the different stages are explaint in the beginning of the gentoo handbook.

Linux Engineer

Linux Enthusiast
    if I use stage 3 can I still customize it a lot

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast