Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ive hav gone to jinx.com, and posted this question twice still no answer, so i decided to go to the pros. can you please tell me if gentoo is a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gentoo live cd

ive hav gone to jinx.com, and posted this question twice still no answer, so i decided to go to the pros. can you please tell me if gentoo is a full based OS, and not just a live CD. I hav gone to linuxiso.org and downloaded both of there gentoo iso(minimal and universal) and they both seemed to be a live CD. can you pls tell me if there is any other way i can get a gentoo not on a live cd, if so post a link or sumtin.

thanx

Linux User
    the minimal and universal are both live cd's that are used to install gentoo.
    go to the gentoo website and read/print out the gentoo installatioin handbook. it tells you all the commands you need to install gentoo to your hardrive.
    www.gentoo.org
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Just Joined!
    thanx man, i was sorta thinkin that, but i was used to knoppix so i just thought it was a regular live cd...thankx

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How do you get the liveCD to function as such. When I tried it all I got was the boot prompt. What do I need to test it out. Is there a command I am missing?

Linux User
    im not sure i understand your question
    read the install manual first and if it doesnt solve your questions, post back.
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Yeah I already looked through the manual and couldn't find what I was looking for. I wanted to run the Gentoo liveCD like Knoppix and try it out before I took the plunge, but I think maybe Gentoo's idea of a liveCD and mine are two different things.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtVelocity
    Yeah I already looked through the manual and couldn't find what I was looking for. I wanted to run the Gentoo liveCD like Knoppix and try it out before I took the plunge, but I think maybe Gentoo's idea of a liveCD and mine are two different things.
    Gentoo's livecd is made to install gentoo with, therefore they try to include only the apps which is needed to install gentoo in addition to irrsi and links (Mainly for using IRC to ask for help or to browse online/on-cd documentation).

EDIT: If you're looking for something ala knoppix, you could possibly check out pentoo: http://www.netsc.ch/pentoo/
    But be aware, it is hard to judge the whole OS after testing a livecd since how the OS is higly depends on what you do with it under the innstallation, how you set it up and wha you install.

Thanks jaboua very much for the link. I was not aware of Pentoo. I realize that it will not be entirely representative of the Gentoo experience, but it's good to take a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtVelocity
    When I got my first Gentoo livecd, I couldn't figure out what this thing was.
    It says that you can experience Gentoo from this livecd, so I thought(mistakenly) that I would be able to boot to a desktop with the livecd.
    I was informed that my ideas were wrong, some Gentoo users don't consider X to be a necessary part of the OS.
    And that a command line is all you need.

I would not be one of those Gentoo users, I believe X is a absolute necessity to do stuff. Except for troubleshooting and maintenance where just a command line is great.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    I would not be one of those Gentoo users, I believe X is a absolute necessity to do stuff. Except for troubleshooting and maintenance where just a command line is great.
    That's one of the reasons they tell you that it's fully possible in knoppix.... I just did the partitionating and such within the gentoo livecd the second time I tried, and then skipped over to using knoppix...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast