Find the answer to your Linux question:
When i try to emerge coldplug and hotplug from the live cd like the instructions say, it says it tries to download it from web sites, but i have no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Emerge hotplug without internet.

When i try to emerge coldplug and hotplug from the live cd like the instructions say, it says it tries to download it from web sites, but i have no internet on that computer. Is there any way to emerge hotplug without the internet?

Linux Engineer
    Yeah, if you note which files it tryes to download and where it's getting downloaded from, you can download them from an other computer and burn them to a CD or usb pendrive etc. and manually place them in /usr/portage/distfiles, then re-try emerging. It should now emerge without downloading.

NOTE: You must get the dependencies also manually and place them in /usr/portage/distfiles!

Linux Engineer
    Possibly you ran emerge sync to get an up to date portage tree from the internet? if so then you wont be merging the ebuild that corresponds to the package of hotplug/coldplug that is available on the live cd.

you can either emerge -avkK /usr/portage/pathtoebuild - which you shouldnt really do! - (setting the path specificaly to that which corresponds to the version of the package on the cd) or delete all the ebuild versions later than the package version you have on the live cd and emerge it as the instructions say.

If you _did_ take the portage tree from the live cd (you untarred the one from the cd) and you are still having the problem then i will need to think about it a bit more :)

sorry if thats a little confusing but its kinda late where i am :P

Linux Engineer
    btw dont forget to use -kK (usepackage and usepackageonly) to emerge pre built packages from the cd.

Just Joined!
    ok, thanks for all the replies, i will try them.