Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
groupadd tempdir chown jack:tempdir /home/jack/temp chmod 770 /home/jack/temp usermod -G tempdir brill 774 if you want everyone to be able to read it....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

groupadd tempdir
    chown jack:tempdir /home/jack/temp
    chmod 770 /home/jack/temp
    usermod -G tempdir brill

774 if you want everyone to be able to read it.

Just Joined!
    Is their anyway that I can give brill full access even to the folders that are made by someone else example,

I can make a folder in one account then I will try to del it from brill and it wont let me.. chmod 7777 -R doesnt do it any ideas?

Linux Newbie
    That's because he's not the owner. If you chown it (user:group), then brill should be able to delete it. I'm not 100% sure on much of this because I do most of me work as root or with sudo.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    So I would have to make a group and then add everyone that I wanted to that dir? Basically what you are saying?

Can you help me with the code bc I tried it and it comes back and says "invaild group name" any ideas? Thanks for your kind support

Just Joined!
    I got it solved:

I did --> /home/brill/temp

Chown brill temp

then -->

/home/jack/temp

Chown jack temp

That did it.

Now I can write, read and del.

Thanks for your help guys!!

Just Joined!
    Spoke to early...

Again Im having problems all of them can read / write into the folders but if one tries to del something that isnt theirs ( Not allowed ) any ideas? Sorry for asking the same Q again, thanks guys.

Linux Newbie
    As I said, if you make a group, add the users to that group, and use chown to set the group as an owner of the file, it should work. Bear in mind I have little experience with this, working from root most of the time.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeh
    As I said, if you make a group, add the users to that group, and use chown to set the group as an owner of the file, it should work. Bear in mind I have little experience with this, working from root most of the time.
    Or chgrp... Use chmod to fine-tune the settings so that everybody in the group can write to the file(s) and such.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2