Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am going to do the install soon but I am a kind of person that goes into a nervous breakdown if I don't have the Gentoo Handbook by me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Compiling Gentoo in Knoppix?

I am going to do the install soon but I am a kind of person that goes into a nervous breakdown if I don't have the Gentoo Handbook by me at all times. I have printed out a Gentoo handbook in the past (2004.0 or something) but I'm about to do a 2005 so I can't use it. At the same time I am a bit hesitant on printing 30-40 pages on my printer. So basically I need the handbook by me on the install but I don't have it. I have been hearing a lot about Knoppix and how you can do the compiling for Gentoo in a window in Knoppix or at least do the first part of the install in Knoppix. If I could do the whole install in Knoppix that would be really great because I would just have the online manual right there on my desktop. Is there any way to do the entire install in Knoppix? I have Googled but I only came up with that you can do the first part of the Gentoo install only with the help of Knoppix. Any help would be great, thanks.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux Engineer
    I beleve that is fully possible, I got up the base system in gentoo livecd and then used knoppix for the rest once. Just follow the usual guide, but skip the mirrorselect options and such since the mirrorselect tool is not in knoppix.

Linux Engineer
    yes, I've done it with slax, and there is a guide that updates the handbook for knoppix users, there are a few steps that differ, such as the command for mounting the proc...other than that you should have no problem
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close