Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by variant
    you can pretty much learn how to do a gentoo install without the docs after the third or fourth install, then you can sit down and chain up all the commands you need (after partitioning etc first) and walk away while it does it for you. !
    exactly i do my installs in 2 sittingsr

though im not gonna say that on installer isnt a good thing but i will say that you learn so much more doing it manualy what i will say is that the hand book will probably be around for a long time to come diffrent ppl do things diffrently that is choice! and linux is about doing it youur own way that is why there are many ways to do everything in linux! and soon to be, an installer for thoes that need an installer to make gentoo a fun experiance for them to use.
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Well.....I did the installation for the tenth time.....and finally succeeded....

Can't say that I can do it without glancing at the handbook though. I still need to look up those codes. An installer would take away the learning experiences you gain by doing it yourself....

Quote Originally Posted by junkman4547
    Well.....I did the installation for the tenth time.....and finally succeeded....

Can't say that I can do it without glancing at the handbook though. I still need to look up those codes. An installer would take away the learning experiences you gain by doing it yourself....
    i couldn't of said it better myself!
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by junkman4547

ditto

it took me....about 10 times...to get it up and running and, though frustrated, i learned a lot.

....and congrats!! it's a pretty good feeling to get it working after putting a lot of time learning how to install it...what to do, what not to do, etc.

I know what you mean....Josolanes....what to do...what not to do....

I was stuck for a while because X window would not start and gave me a couple of screens full of error dialogs. In the end it was the problem with my mouse, I corrected that and tried ..startx....once more, and wham ! ! ....it worked....

Found this in Distrowatch weekly
    The Jackass! Project. The Jackass! Project is an enhanced version of Gentoo Linux 2005.0 that is based upon Bob Predaina's Stage 1 + NPTL on a Stage 3 Tarball installation method. The Stage 1/3 installation method was used to build an optimised toolkit that includes a GCC 3.4.3 compiler that has been optimised for the x86 hardware platform using an optimised set of CFLAGS. This toolkit also provides integrated support for the Native Posix Threading Library (NPTL). As a result, this toolkit significantly outperforms plain-vanilla Gentoo (and probably every other Linux distribution that runs on the x86 platform). The purpose of The Jackass! Project is to create a set of unofficial x86 installation media (bootable installation CDs and Stage 3 tarballs) for the 2005.0 release of Gentoo Linux that contain The Jackass! Toolkit.
    It seems to me they could have come up with a better name.
    Pick up a starving dog, prosper him, and he won't bite you.
    This is the main difference between men and dogs.

New users read The FAQ

Woah. All the bananas froze on me. Freaky.
    Registered Linux user #393668

That's better. They're moving now.
    Registered Linux user #393668

Linux Enthusiast
    Choice would definitely be good, but think about it, if you can't install it, then how is it right for you if you haven't got the knowledge to maintain it, the Gentoo forum would be flooded, poor Gentoo forum people

But then again, it would make for a great learning curve, maybe I'm sounding like an idiot, but, half the fun of Gentoo is installing it.