Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng...ller/index.xml Anyone know when this will be released or how to use it? It looks interesting....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Gentoo installer

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng...ller/index.xml
    Anyone know when this will be released or how to use it? It looks interesting.

It looks very interesting to me.
    What would happen to the handbook though?
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    It looks very interesting to me.
    What would happen to the handbook though?
    Hopefully there will be a choice - you can either do it the hard way and the good way, or you can let it go painless

Choice would definitely be good.
    When I was first trying to install Gentoo, I really wished I could have had an installer.
    But now that I have installed it a few times, on a few different machines, not having an installer doesn't seem so bad any more.

And there is definitely a greater feeling of accomplishment when you finish a Gentoo install, and at the end you type "reboot". And it actually boots up with out a problem.
    Versus an automated installer, albeit much quicker, it is just not the same.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Yeah, I know what you're talking about... Espesially, I felt good after the first install, it had sood for almost a week to compile other stuff too... O could'nt decide between KDE and gnome so I emerged them both with the use-flag "gnome gtk gtk2 kde qt" and in addition, I emerged tuxracer and such before rebooting, so I have two complete desktops when I first rebooted (and offcourse, I got the same error as you budman7 about the netmount). But that worked out soon.

O could'nt decide between KDE and gnome so I emerged them both with the use-flag "gnome gtk gtk2 kde qt" Embarassed
    I take it you mean that you had a ton of dependencies to emerge with those USE flags.

I setup a machine without any mention of Gnome or Kde, cause i wasn't going to use either. Just IceWM.
    When I went to emerge IceWM, there were a ton of dependencies.
    so I cancelled the emerge. Changed the USE flags so gtk, qt, gnome and kde all had - in front. That made for a better emerge IceWM
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    As far as I know the installer is included on the latest live cds however it is still extreemly experimental.

edit: actualy its not i just checked.. alpha version coming soon apparantly.

you can use it if you build your own live cd.

Linux Newbie
    anyone spot how to use it? - apart from building ur own live CD (no idea how to to that...). I mess around with lots of distros, so doing a Gentoo install a lot can be a pain...

Linux Engineer
    you can pretty much learn how to do a gentoo install without the docs after the third or fourth install, then you can sit down and chain up all the commands you need (after partitioning etc first) and walk away while it does it for you. If you are patient then I think the installer will be on a liveCD pretty soon!

Linux Newbie
    Brilliant I'm going to install Gentoo anyway this week, but it's nice to know there will be an easy option!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast