Find the answer to your Linux question:
cube is a FPS open souce game. i tried playing it and eveerything works fine untill i got the trying out multiplayer.it finds the servers but when it connects quickly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

problem with cube and multiplayer

cube is a FPS open souce game.

i tried playing it and eveerything works fine untill i got the trying out multiplayer.it finds the servers but when it connects quickly disconnect with a message saying

"illegal network message (type)"

from what i understand, the way that they keep people from cheating is by using official binary packages. this is the obvius conflict with gentoo since we compile everything ourselves. so is that the problem and i cant use the getoo install for multiplayr or is there something else wrong?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Engineer
    i'd like to know the answer to this as well, I played cube alot single player with bots and have the exact same error when trying to connect to the multi-player servers.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    I only used the cube version at the official cube site, and that one at least works perfectly with multiplayer... Stupid Q., but you remembered to run "update server list from master server" or something like that before connecting to a server?

thats the first thing i do. again. if you read there websites forum about cheating it gets into how the anti cheat system is basicly to have official binaries. he beveloper is planning on changing it though to be some sort of social agreement system. it seems deaply flawed though.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

hey, i just got an idea! what if we ran our own server. would that possibly bypass this official binary problem?