Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ive used porthole in the past but now after a big update it doesnt want to work. i have unmerged and re-emerged it several times heres what happens tux ben ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

problems with porthole

ive used porthole in the past but now after a big update it doesnt want to work. i have unmerged and re-emerged it several times heres what happens

tux ben # porthole
    NO installed porthole modules found! Please run with the --local flag
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/porthole", line 122, in ?
    gettext.bindtextdomain (APP, i18n_DIR)
    NameError: name 'i18n_DIR' is not defined
    tux ben #

i am using root mode.

so i try it with the --local flag.

tux ben # porthole --local
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/porthole", line 91, in ?
    from version import version
    ImportError: No module named version
    tux ben #

i dont know why its not working. i havent gone messing with anything.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Have you tried re-merging porthole?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

ive used porthole in the past but now after a big update it doesnt want to work. i have unmerged and re-emerged it several times heres what happens
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i should probobly mention im using the ~x86 branch(unstable). its not that big of a deal. its just that id like to know if its a bug in the program or the ebuild or if is an error on my side.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    i should probobly mention im using the ~x86 branch(unstable). its not that big of a deal. its just that id like to know if its a bug in the program or the ebuild or if is an error on my side.
    ~x86 packages often do fail, have you tried the stable version? It is possible to fix it manually, but the easiest way is to use the stable one. I would rather reccomand using x86 with exceptions in /etc/portage/package.keywords to get most packages stable and some unstable instead of every one unstable...

So there is a huge chance for the ebuild beeing weird, so try to either update the portage tree and see if it is fixed *OR* install a stable version.

i would love to go back to stable but of course its practicly imposible without a full reinstall. i dont feel like doing that because im gtting a new computer realy soon anyway and im going to be shure to do stable on that one. also azureus isnt working right anymore. i guess when they say unstable they realy mean it.

Linux Engineer
    Next time you put gentoo onto your new computer, check out this guide for using some packages unstable and some (read: those who ~x86 wont work) stable by using package.mask package.keywords: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_Portage_Correctly

Just Joined!
    Maybe you has updated python. Re-emerge porthole and run python-updater (it updates some packages)

well thank you senbee. not only did that program fix my porthole problems but it fixed my azureus problem as well. also thank you for the honor of your first post. as for the rest of you, thanks for at least atempting at solving my problem. i often find my problems unresponded to.

anyway. what exactly does this program do and where did you learn about it?

Linux Engineer
    Do you mean python? It's an easy-to-learn programming language, interactive (like bash) or from python scripts. Portage is written in python, so that may be one of the reasons for your problem..,.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast