Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
alright, that's it....while i was updating gnome last time (i finally got it working), lightning struck and knocked the power out. i thought nothing of it and restarted, but since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

alright, that's it....while i was updating gnome last time (i finally got it working), lightning struck and knocked the power out. i thought nothing of it and restarted, but since i was updating and haven't finished updating gnome...it took me to a command prompt. i decided to try to continue updating it through there but it was unable to load the netmount service when starting. i then decided to try and download each update file for gnome (the rest of them) on another computer and move them to a thumb drive....this also failed as, apparently, the thumb drive also stopped working (i think one of my friends spilled soda on it without telling me).

so...i'm going to try to install gentoo myself, not a distribution built from it (as vidalinux was) so that i can get the most (or very close to) updated things immediately and not worry about updating and having the problems i had updating an apparently old version of gentoo. i'll also be able to have the exact packages i want too

*downloading iso*
    wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by josolanes

*downloading iso*
    wish me luck!
    Good luck.
    If you have another computer close by that you can have the Gentoo Handbook open on is it a big help.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

As a note about installing Gentoo, do it through Knoppix. That way, you have a GUI and Internet for the whole process. It makes it MUCH easier.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap3

Best of luck to you!

Linux Enthusiast
    I now have Gentoo installed

I had a laptop nearby with the instructions on it so I can just follow along throughout the install. There's no way I would have been able to otherwise

Now I'm just having trouble getting netmount to start (so eth0 doesn't seem to be found...no internet) and my USB devices don't seem to work (unfortunately my mouse and keyboard are included with these...so it won't let me into Xorg/Gnome). I have a ps/2 keyboard, though, so I was able to get some things insalled from within the command line (I feel much more comfortable with the command line now then I was before I installed Gentoo ).

If you can help me with these, it would be great. I almost have it running just right but these things are holding me back from really doing much.

Thanks a lot for all of your help and suggestions...and for wishing me luck!

Linux Engineer
    Now I'm just having trouble getting netmount to start (so eth0 doesn't seem to be found...no internet) and my USB devices don't seem to work (unfortunately my mouse and keyboard are included with these...so it won't let me into Xorg/Gnome). I have a ps/2 keyboard, though, so I was able to get some things insalled from within the command line (I feel much more comfortable with the command line now then I was before I installed Gentoo ).
    1) The netmount error is the most common error of booting gentoo systems. The reason for the error is most of the times either a bad formatted /etc/conf.d/net, which on a system with DHCP would look about like this (n addition to a bunch of comments which are not needed):
    Code:
    iface_eth0="dhcp"
    dhcpcd_eth0="-HDN"
    Or that the network-device drivers aren't compiled into the kernel; either as a module or not at all. This can be solved by recompiling the kernel.

2) If USB devices won't work, you should probably look through your kernel configuration to see that you have compiled the necesarry drivers into the kernel (usb-uchi or usb-ochi). If they are compiled as modules, try using the command "modprobe" to load them.

About being more comfortable with the command line, that happened to me too, but most of the barrier broke when I started out with slackware a month before thought.

Linux Enthusiast
    I had a feeling the USB problem had to deal with the kernel, so this time I'm going to try compiling it using genkernel...then I plan on getting rid of things once my system works right. genkernel, from what I've read, makes a very general (and large) kernel that autodetects a wide range of hardware.

About the netmount problem...that seems like a very possible reason, as I'm using dhcp. I'll change that as soon as I can and get back to you on how it worked (looks very likely that that was the problem as I didn't see the second line when I was editting the file).

Thanks for all of your help! I'm slowly moving to a fully functional gentoo install...with a lot of help from you

Linux Enthusiast

*bump*...last question/problem???

I'm sorry for asking another question, but can you please bare with me on this? I finally reinstalled gentoo and everything went flawlessly....when I boot, it finds my usb devices, etc (genkernel saved me on that). But I'm afraid of run into another problem that prevents me from booting. I feel this might be the last one to get me into gentoo (atleast so I can start installing with emerge). The newest error message is as follows:
    Code:
    >> Mounting filesystems
    >> Determining root device...
    >> Block device /dev/hda4 is not a valid root device...
    >> The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
    Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell...
    boot() ::
    My partition table is as follows:
    /dev/hda1 = windows xp pro (ntfs)
    /dev/hda2 = gentoo boot partition (reiserfs)
    /dev/hda3 = gentoo swap partition (swap)
    /dev/hda4 = rest of gentoo: / , /home, etc... (reiserfs)

I have a very general purpose kernel running (used gentoo-source and genkernel to compile it) and made sure (opening menuconfig) that I had enabled reiserfs support.

When it asks me to specify a device to boot I typed in "/dev/hda2" but it didn't work either...I also resorted to "/dev/hda3" but that (obviously) didn't do anything.

Can someone please help me? I think it has to do with how I set up my grub.conf file, but i double and triple checked it against the install instructions...changing the partition numbers accordingly...and it seemed fine to me.

I'm just getting frustrated and would really like some help. After getting a taste of Gentoo (from a variation of it) I really feel this could be the distro for me, but I can't believe I'm having so much trouble getting it to work. The other ones I can see were my fault in one way or another, but this time I'm stumped. Can someone give me some thoughts on this, please?

Also, regarding installing gedit, I somehow came to the conclusion last night that I needed to install sys-libs/libstdc++-v3....so I tried to, but I get this (from within portole...the gui for portage):
    Code:
    *** emerge --nospinner sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ***
    000002 Calculating dependencies   
    000003 !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "sys-libs/libstdc++-v3" have been masked.
    000004 !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
    000005 - sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.3-r1 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
    000006 - sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
    000008 For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or 
    000009 section 2.2 "Software Availability" in the Gentoo Handbook.
    000011 *** process completed ***
    I read through the masked package section in man emerge, but all that seemed to tell me was that this kind of package is set not to install for the safety of my system (or something to that effect).

Now I don't know how to install this (assuming I really need it). It seems important for compatibility reasons as this package is "[a] compatibility package for running binaries linked against a pre gcc 3.4 libstdc++" (taken from within porthole). My conclusion was that gedit might need a pre gcc 3.4 libstdc++.

I'd appreciate any help I can get on this....whether or not I really need this package, how to install it, whether it's safe to install, etc....

My machine is a dual athlon mp 1800+ system (x86, smp).
    it should be fine
    Code:
    echo "sys-libs/libstdc++ ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keyword
    then
    Code:
    emerge libstdc++
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Enthusiast

Re: *bump*...last question/problem??? (PROBLEM SOLVED!!!)

^^
    I'll keep that in mind if I run into the problem again while updating. Thanks for the suggestion

I'm sorry for asking another question, but can you please bare with me on this? I finally reinstalled gentoo and everything went flawlessly....when I boot, it finds my usb devices, etc (genkernel saved me on that). But I'm afraid of run into another problem that prevents me from booting. I feel this might be the last one to get me into gentoo (atleast so I can start installing with emerge). The newest error message is as follows:
    Code:
    >> Mounting filesystems
    >> Determining root device...
    >> Block device /dev/hda4 is not a valid root device...
    >> The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
    Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell...
    boot() ::
    My partition table is as follows:
    /dev/hda1 = windows xp pro (ntfs)
    /dev/hda2 = gentoo boot partition (reiserfs)
    /dev/hda3 = gentoo swap partition (swap)
    /dev/hda4 = rest of gentoo: / , /home, etc... (reiserfs)

I have a very general purpose kernel running (used gentoo-source and genkernel to compile it) and made sure (opening menuconfig) that I had enabled reiserfs support.

When it asks me to specify a device to boot I typed in "/dev/hda2" but it didn't work either...I also resorted to "/dev/hda3" but that (obviously) didn't do anything.

Can someone please help me? I think it has to do with how I set up my grub.conf file, but i double and triple checked it against the install instructions...changing the partition numbers accordingly...and it seemed fine to me.

I'm just getting frustrated and would really like some help. After getting a taste of Gentoo (from a variation of it) I really feel this could be the distro for me, but I can't believe I'm having so much trouble getting it to work. The other ones I can see were my fault in one way or another, but this time I'm stumped. Can someone give me some thoughts on this, please?
    I did a search on google.com/linux for the solution to this problem and found that using:
    genkernel --udev --menuconfig --bootloader=grub --clean --install all
    ...to recompile the kernel fixed the boot problem (from http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...4a2ccef152b4fa). now i still have the eth0 problem, after i set dhcpcd_eth0="-HDN" and made sure that iface_eth0="dhcp" was there.

I'll search for the answer . Sorry for not searching for the past few questions...I was just eager to get gentoo up and running. I usually do search.

Thanks a lot for all of your help!

Linux Enthusiast
    I now have eth0 working too! I did this the lazy way (will adjust for speed later, but atleast it works now ). I popped in the package cd for the additional packages and installed coldplug and hotplug and did rc-update for both. Now I have a fully working gentoo install!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2