Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm new to Gentoo though I've tried a few other variations of linux (Fedora Core 3, Mandrake 10.1, Debian,...) and I'm having a problem updating it. I use a variation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Problem updating

I'm new to Gentoo though I've tried a few other variations of linux (Fedora Core 3, Mandrake 10.1, Debian,...) and I'm having a problem updating it.

I use a variation of Gentoo called Vidalinux, which uses a GUI program called porthole (might be universal with Gentoo, but I'm really not sure) to update through portage.

When updating Vidalinux using the new profile (2005.0) I get a couple of dependency problems (with different files that are updating) all pointing to "<www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0-r3" as the problem.

The error within porthole says (in this case regarding app-text/ghostscript):
    Code:
     *** emerge -u --nospinner app-text/ghostscript ***
    !!! Error&#58; the <www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0-r3 package conflicts with another package.
    !!!        both can't be installed on the same system together.
    !!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.
    I then followed it's instructions and typed, within the terminal as root, the following:
    Code:
    emerge --pretend -u --nospinner app-text/ghostscript
    and it gave me the following output:
    Code:
    These are the packages that I would merge, in order&#58;

Calculating dependencies  ...done!
    &#91;blocks B     &#93; <www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0-r3 &#40;is blocking media-libs/freet ype-2.1.9-r1&#41;
    &#91;ebuild  N    &#93; app-crypt/hashalot-0.3
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; sys-apps/util-linux-2.12i-r1 &#91;2.12-r4&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; media-libs/libpng-1.2.8 &#91;1.2.7&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; sys-devel/libtool-1.5.16 &#91;1.5.2-r5&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; media-libs/freetype-2.1.9-r1 &#91;2.1.5-r1&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; x11-misc/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r3 &#91;3.0.9-r2&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; dev-libs/expat-1.95.8 &#91;1.95.7&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; app-arch/bzip2-1.0.3 &#91;1.0.2-r3&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; x11-base/opengl-update-2.2.1 &#91;1.8.2&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1 &#91;6.8.0-r3&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; app-arch/cpio-2.6-r3 &#91;2.5&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; sys-apps/diffutils-2.8.7-r1 &#91;2.8.4-r4&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7e-r1 &#91;0.9.7d-r1&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; dev-lang/python-2.3.5 &#91;2.3.4&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; sys-apps/file-4.12 &#91;4.10&#93;
    &#91;ebuild  N    &#93; app-arch/rpm2targz-9.0-r2
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; sys-apps/utempter-0.5.5.5-r1 &#91;0.5.5.5&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; x11-terms/xterm-200-r2 &#91;196&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; media-libs/tiff-3.7.2 &#91;3.7.0&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; dev-libs/glib-2.6.3 &#91;2.4.7&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; dev-libs/atk-1.9.1 &#91;1.8.0&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; x11-libs/pango-1.8.1 &#91;1.6.0&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; dev-libs/libxml2-2.6.17 &#91;2.6.15-r1&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; x11-misc/shared-mime-info-0.16 &#91;0.14&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.7 &#91;2.4.9-r1&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; net-print/cups-1.1.23-r1 &#91;1.1.20-r5&#93;
    &#91;ebuild     U &#93; app-text/ghostscript-7.07.1-r8 &#91;7.07.1-r7&#93;
    with the first line after "Calculating dependencies ...done!" in red text.

Can someone help me fix this? Last time I updated (before I reintalled), one of the packages that gave me this error was Gnome and after I rebooted I couldn't go past the login screen...so I resorted to reinstalling as I'm still learning and am not too confident about trying to fix something like that.

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. Overall, I'm very happy with Gentoo...it's just that this one problem is stopping me from doing much (atleast in regards to updates).

Linux Engineer
    I don't remember when it says ike that what package is blocking the other, but try emerging first mozilla-firefox then that freet ype-app (or whatever it's called) to get past the blockers, and then try updating again. Also you should consider updating your portage tree before updating, since in my portage tree I have firefox 1.0.4 while you still have a 1.0 beta... Try running "emerge --sync".

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    I don't remember when it says ike that what package is blocking the other, but try emerging first mozilla-firefox then that freet ype-app (or whatever it's called) to get past the blockers, and then try updating again. Also you should consider updating your portage tree before updating, since in my portage tree I have firefox 1.0.4 while you still have a 1.0 beta... Try running "emerge --sync".
    i did the "emerge --sync" earlier (updated the list with some 117500 files), but I'll run that one more time just in case. Shouldn't my portage tree be updated now then?

By emerging the packages, do you mean unmerge them then emerge them again? I already have them installed now, but they're giving me problems.

I've also noticed that I get a message saying that my profile is deprecated, but I've already followed the instructions given to update it. Do I have to restart/log off for it to notice the new profile?

Thanks a lot for helping me

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Not sure if this applies to you or not.
    Yesterday i did "emerge -uD world"
    And I was told that some packages conflicted with others, so I did
    "emerge -u world"
    This worked just fine.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Not sure if this applies to you or not.
    Yesterday i did "emerge -uD world"
    And I was told that some packages conflicted with others, so I did
    "emerge -u world"
    This worked just fine.
    I'll definately try that if I have the problem again. I decided to work backwards...update everything then install firefox (I uninstalled it...now using another computer to get online). The updates seem to be working this time . The real test will be to see if firefox will install again afterwards. If it doesn't, what web browser would you recommend (I'm using Gnome)?

What does that command do? What's the difference between the two commands? I'm sorry...I'm new to this and still trying to figure some things out. Right now I use a GUI frontend for portage, so I rarely use the terminal (other than to update profiles), though I can watch the text scroll on the screen (and do sometimes to get an idea of what it's doing...or see that it's doing something).

The -u is update
    The -D is deep

So If you do "emerge -uD world"

That wil update every file onyour system.

My system was away getting repaired for 3 weeks, so I figured I would do a full update.
    "emerge -u world" gave me 106 dependencies.
    and the whole of kde was on there. It took 14 hours to upate.
    I am kind of glad I didn't do the Deep world.

there are several other things that are good to know about emerge.
    In a terminal, do "man emerge"
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Enthusiast
    The -u is update
    The -D is deep

So If you do "emerge -uD world"

That wil update every file onyour system.

My system was away getting repaired for 3 weeks, so I figured I would do a full update.

there are several other things that are good to know about emerge.
    In a terminal, do "man emerge"
    Thanks a lot for the info!

I've also noticed that updating takes a long time....it took me 8 hours to update last time. I think I've heard that it compiles most things when you update...would this be the reason why it takes so long to update?

Linux Engineer
    I always only run "emerge --puvND world; emerge -NuD world" and then it updates happily

About the emerge, you get past the blockers by emerging the apps without necesarrily having to unmerge them since the old version is autolaticly removed when updating... Well, I'm glad you got past it! And if firefox however should cause dependency-problems, just use the "emerge -puvND world" option to get a list over the blockers and the activated use-flags before updating, and then emerge the package which is blocked and re-try. That usually works for me.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    I always only run "emerge --puvND world; emerge -NuD world" and then it updates happily

About the emerge, you get past the blockers by emerging the apps without necesarrily having to unmerge them since the old version is autolaticly removed when updating... Well, I'm glad you got past it! And if firefox however should cause dependency-problems, just use the "emerge -puvND world" option to get a list over the blockers and the activated use-flags before updating, and then emerge the package which is blocked and re-try. That usually works for me.
    thanks!

i got firefox to install and the part of gnome that had problems with firefox to also install (there were 127 or so things that had to be installed for gnome).

after a night of updating my computer, i found i had another problem updating gnome. it stopped at gedit, so i did the following sequence of things without really getting very far...except i found what's wrong.

sidenote: i used "emerge -u <program>" since that's what the gui for portage used to install programs.
    Code:
    localhost josh # emerge --pretend -u app-editors/gedit-2.10.3

Calculating dependencies

!!! Problem in app-editors/gedit-2.10.3 dependencies.
    !!! "Specific key requires an operator &#40;app-editors/gedit-2.10.3&#41; &#40;try adding an '='&#41;" exceptions

localhost josh # emerge --pretend -u =app-editors/gedit-2.10.3

Calculating dependencies ...done!
    &#91;ebuild  N    &#93; app-editors/gedit-2.10.3

localhost josh # emerge -u =app-editors/gedit-2.10.3
    Calculating dependencies ...done!
    >>> emerge &#40;1 of 1&#41; app-editors/gedit-2.10.3 to /
    ...&#40;editted out...just processing and lots of text&#41;
    <LOTS OF MERGING WITH CACHES TRANSLATIONS>
    Merging translations into spell.gedit-plugin.
    /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -O2 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer   -o libspell.la -rpath /usr/lib/gedit-2/plugins -module -avoid-version  spell.lo gedit-spell-checker.lo gedit-spell-checker-dialog.lo gedit-spell-language-dialog.lo gedit-automatic-spell-checker.lo gedit-spell-checker-dialog-marshal.lo -laspell -lpopt
    grep&#58; /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/libstdc++.la&#58; No such file or directory
    /bin/sed&#58; can't read /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/libstdc++.la&#58; No such file or directory
    libtool&#58; link&#58; `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.4/libstdc++.la' is not a valid libtool archive
    make&#91;4&#93;&#58; *** &#91;libspell.la&#93; Error 1
    make&#91;4&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gedit-2.10.3/work/gedit-2.10.3/plugins/spell'
    make&#91;3&#93;&#58; *** &#91;all&#93; Error 2
    make&#91;3&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gedit-2.10.3/work/gedit-2.10.3/plugins/spell'
    make&#91;2&#93;&#58; *** &#91;all-recursive&#93; Error 1
    make&#91;2&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gedit-2.10.3/work/gedit-2.10.3/plugins'
    make&#91;1&#93;&#58; *** &#91;all-recursive&#93; Error 1
    make&#91;1&#93;&#58; Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gedit-2.10.3/work/gedit-2.10.3'
    make&#58; *** &#91;all&#93; Error 2

!!! ERROR&#58; app-editors/gedit-2.10.3 failed.
    !!! Function gnome2_src_compile, Line 41, Exitcode 2
    !!! compile failure
    !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

localhost josh #
    Can someone help me with this? I don't want to restart my computer now out of fear that I might not be able to get back into Gnome...and I'm not too great with the command line.

EDIT: I'm trying "emerge --puvND gedit" right now and that is a very useful command! It might help me get gedit to install (I'm installing each dependency one by one, then I'll try installing gedit again)

Linux Enthusiast
    Also, regarding installing gedit, I somehow came to the conclusion last night that I needed to install sys-libs/libstdc++-v3....so I tried to, but I get this (from within portole...the gui for portage):
    Code:
    *** emerge --nospinner sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 ***
    000002 Calculating dependencies   
    000003 !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "sys-libs/libstdc++-v3" have been masked.
    000004 !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request&#58;
    000005 - sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.3-r1 &#40;masked by&#58; ~x86 keyword&#41;
    000006 - sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-3.3.4 &#40;masked by&#58; ~x86 keyword&#41;
    000008 For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or 
    000009 section 2.2 "Software Availability" in the Gentoo Handbook.
    000011 *** process completed ***
    I read through the masked package section in man emerge, but all that seemed to tell me was that this kind of package is set not to install for the safety of my system (or something to that effect).

Now I don't know how to install this (assuming I really need it). It seems important for compatibility reasons as this package is "[a] compatibility package for running binaries linked against a pre gcc 3.4 libstdc++" (taken from within porthole). My conclusion was that gedit might need a pre gcc 3.4 libstdc++.

I'd appreciate any help I can get on this....whether or not I really need this package, how to install it, whether it's safe to install, etc....

My machine is a dual athlon mp 1800+ system (x86, smp).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast