Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can never settle on a distro, there is always something i end up disliking. I have tried almost every half-decent distro there is and i end up leaving because. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Should i make the switch?

I can never settle on a distro, there is always something i end up disliking. I have tried almost every half-decent distro there is and i end up leaving because.

* They customize packages
    * Have a bad package manager
    * You have to reinstall every new release.

I quite like debian but it seems more for servers than anything else. If i do switch to gentoo can i still keep my current /home partiton? I have a lot of anime and music which would take too long to back up and i don't want to lose it. I did a gentoo install before but got a kernel panic about it not being able to mount the root filesystem or something. Is there anyone who used to use debian here and is now a happy gentoo user? Also how stable is gentoo? If all i want to do is browse the web, download and watch anime and music will it do it well?

Linux Engineer
    you can keep your current /home partition. Plus you never have to update for a new release, you can update at any point you wish with
    Code:
    emerge -uD world
    and poof, thats it, then you run env-update to update config files if you wish. Once you get a gentoo install working you never have to worry about stability, plus this is the only system, other than LFS, that I have used that is entirely non-bloat. For a first time user I would recommend the genkernel method of installation--you are virtually guaranteed to get a working kernel that supports everything. FOLLOW THE HANDBOOK, print it out and don't rely on links2 in my opinion. Plus there are also easy to follow documents on the gentoo site to get your alsa and nvidia cards working well in no time flat. Pay attention to your use flags i set mine up for a kde system so they are something like "kde qt alsa nvidia cdr dvd" etc, you will never get a dependancy installed that you don't need, plus with these you guarantee that everything is custom-compiled just for youir system. I use mine for many of the things you mention, and while nothing comes setup already you will learn alot about linux in general and about how your comp works.

P.S. you will encounter some problems getting yoiur box setup, but we can help you through any one you encounter, and everything that I've encountered has been easily fixed. know your hardware, monitor settings, e.g. vertical and horizontal sync are very important to get exactly right, etc, and we will help you with the rest.

I too have used many distros and also always felt a little dissatisfied, gentoo does have a bit of work to get setup; however, once you do I think you will find a very powerful, secure, customized, and easy to use system. Plus portage really rocks
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Engineer
    I switched from gentoo to debian once before, but I quickly (about two weeks later) ended up back with gentoo. Yes, you can still keep your current /home partition, but if the distro you had before used different package-versions and such and you encounter problems, you should delete for example /home/user/.kde

How stable gentoo is depends about your choices. If you want to, you can use the newest of everything (kinda like sid, but here called for example "~x86"), or you can hold back and use the stable packages (more like debian testing, the "x86" profile if you use gentoo-x86) or you can mix them up by changing the /etc/portage/package.keywords and /etc/portage/package.mask. Basicly, gentoo can do whatever you want it to well since you customize the system pretty much, use some good optimization flags and use the USE-flags to disable whatever you don't want support for.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I use some of the experimental packages; however, unless you just have to have something a few weeks before it hits stable I wouldn't recommend it to someone new to gentoo, stable ebuilds of packages do come out quite frequently--just be sure to update your portage tree at least once a week with

Code:
    emerge --sync
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    Sounds good. I'm downloading the CD now, i hope everything goes well. I'll post back here if i run into any problems.