Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using a pentium3, therefore using that stage. When executing the first tar command in /mnt/gentoo (# tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-.... ) it runs all fine until it halts with this error: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Gentoo stage3: first tarball "Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers"

Using a pentium3, therefore using that stage. When executing the first tar command in /mnt/gentoo (# tar -xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage3-.... ) it runs all fine until it halts with this error:

tarball extracting all nice, until:
    tar: ./usr/lib/locale/locale-archive: wrote only 6144 of 10240 bytes
    tar: Skipping to next header
    tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

What do I do? What is the problem? I hope someone can help this n00b :P Thanks in advance!

Linux Newbie
    Did you download the CD for Gentoo from the net?
    If so, check the md5sum - you might have an iffy download. If the md5 is ok, try re-burning the CD - I've had install problems when using a scratched or dirty disk to install, or just by getting windows to burn the cd
    Good luck!

Linux Engineer
    you might be able to recover most if not all of the data using this command:

Code:
    cpio -H -ivd /path/to/archive
    If it fails then you should download a new archive from gentoo.org if you have network access.

The best bet is to do what greenpenguin suggests and either reburn the cd which might fix it or get a new one.

Just Joined!
    Thanks y'all for the help

I checked and after that burned the disc again, without getting rig off the problem. What did help, though, was mounting the partitions for /root and /boot to /mnt/gentoo. I hope I did well there, since thi wasn't mentioned in the handbook (or I must have overlooked it several times).

Hope I will be able to install it all, now! Yesterday at 3am I went to bed after I found out my /boot partition was too small when trying to emerge grub..

Linux Engineer
    32MB or even 16mb is enough for /boot