Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Kind of strange/scary if you ask me Check out what is currently the second posting on Gentoo's home page http://www.gentoo.org/ Daniel Robbins accepts new position with Microsoft, finalizes transfer of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Has any body noticed this news tidbit?

Kind of strange/scary if you ask me

Check out what is currently the second posting on Gentoo's home page

http://www.gentoo.org/
    Daniel Robbins accepts new position with Microsoft, finalizes transfer of Gentoo Technologies IP to the Gentoo Foundation
    Posted on June 13, 2005 by g2boojum
    gentoo

Gentoo founder and former Gentoo Chief Architect Daniel Robbins began a new position at Microsoft on 23 May 2005. According to drobbins: "I'm helping Microsoft to understand Open Source and community-based projects." While in the midst of hastily packing to move to Redmond, drobbins nonetheless managed to find the time to finalize the transfer of Gentoo's intellectual property (essentially copyrights on ebuilds and other software as well as soon-to-be trademarked Gentoo logos) to the not-for-profit Gentoo Foundation, Inc.

Linux Engineer
    all i can say to that is: WTF?
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Engineer
    Ehhh... Dammit?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    all i can say to that is: WTF?
    Ditto
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Newbie
    In the end.....everybody has to look after number one first..

But I just do not trust Microsoft....they want ot understand
    open source ... so they can kill it.

i hpe they know its a little late for another april fools joke
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Just Joined!
    It's a blow to open source and Gentoo supporters all over the globe. I guess every man has his price -The only word's i can think of are SELLOUT and TRAITOR.

I guess he will help Bill understand open source better, so this years million dollar smear campaign against Linux may have some more effect than last years did.

Just like SCO this guy is officially dead to me now.

well hold on a second. now first of all he hasnt actualy been doing any programin for gentoo for more than a year. so hees been dead to you for a long time now. second. working for microsoft cant be all that bad. i mean its not like you actualy have to do anyhting. just show up everyday and sit around screwing with code.

it could be slightly bennificial to the linux community. remmenber. microsoft hasnt actualy officialy recognized linux as a compedator. they just tried there old tactics of ignoring it while making it compleatly incompatible with there software. it dint work so then they sued linux. thats not going anywhere. so now they are going to try and do exactly what they did with apple. ride the wave. for the longest time apple has been microsofts only real compedator. but look how they released there office program to apple.

now you might be thinking that its soooo terible that microsoft is going to try and take over linux. but remember, we a re a little more resiliant than that. it will end up helping us because then all there sofware pacages will say "compatible with windows xp, windows longhorn. windows rg, osx10.5, linux" so it will get our name out there a little bit. i realy dont think that they want to "understand open-source and community software" just to know about it. they want to try and integrate qith it. because sofare they have only been trying to be uncompatible with it and look at how linux just began to grow faster
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Just Joined!
    Well everyone will form their own opinions ... but there is no denying the fact that Microsoft spends alot of money every year trying to misinform the general public about open source software and Linux in particular. I have a sick feeling about all this buddy buddy crapola with MS.

It just feels like something weird is going on- The 3 headed monster (Dell, Microsoft, Intel) is making some moves: Michael Dell buying 100 million dollars of Redhat stock last year ... MS buying out SCO ... Daniel Robbins defecting to Microsoft ... IBM getting dumped in favor of Intel for the OSX platform.

For people that despise open source they sure make alot of hedgeway into it.

THE FOUNDER of the Gentoo Linux Project has joined the forces of darkness and hunkered down in the burrow of the Vole in Redmondia.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23923

Linux Engineer
    they have recogised linux as there competitor, infact bill gates recently said "linux is our biggest competitor"

Anyway, they are just doing what they allwase do, killing the competition by buying them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast