Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was thinking of installing Gentoo while in another linux distro. But, I have heard that doing that in a distro using GCC 3.4.3 might be hazardous. Are these rumors ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing from another distro...

I was thinking of installing Gentoo while in another linux distro. But, I have heard that doing that in a distro using GCC 3.4.3 might be hazardous. Are these rumors with merit?

As long as you have some unpartitioned space on your hard drive, you're good to go. As to the GCC issue, I've never tried 3.4.3, but with 3.4.4 I can't compile (at least the virgin sources) some programs like "util-linux". I still haven't switched my gentoo box up to gcc 3.4.x, so my experiences on 3.4.4 have only been with Jedi 0.2
    The gentoo box I'm on has gcc-3.3.5 and there are no problems, so you might want to consider downgrading to 3.3.x or install 3.3.x alongside 3.4.x and use that for your Bootstrapping (you are stage1 right?!) / emerging needs.
    Just my two cents.

Just Joined!
    also another question. I eventually want to do stage 1, but I doubt I'll get that much free time anytime soon. So, how long does stage 3 take to setup?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    A few hours maybe. that's about how long it took me when I did a stage3

Linux Engineer
    you can do a stage3 in about 35 minnits (if you use all the pre built packages) depending on the spec of your computer

Quote Originally Posted by variant
    you can do a stage3 in about 35 minnits (if you use all the pre built packages) depending on the spec of your computer
    I only used stage3 out of necessity cos of my lack of internet connection (I know you can technically do a stage1 without one, but I'm too lazy) so I built everything I could, which was about 3 hours on my 3.0ghz P4

Just Joined!
    35 minutes? Certainly that doesn't include all the configuration. That Handbook is HUGE!

Using stage3 and binary/GRP packages is a very fast process, with the only real time elapsed being the time it takes you to type things into configuration files. Although I still don't quite see how you could get a kernel extracted and compiled/get genkernel setup in that amount of time, unless you're on a fast box.

Linux Engineer
    once youv done it a few times its easy, you set a few commands going and you can configure the kernel while other things are happening. if you manualy configure the kernel it only takes a few minnits to compile (if your needs a small and system fast) unpacking all the tarballs takes the longest. writing the config files is hardly any time at all (fstab, grub, networking - 10 or 15 lines..) 35 minnits is as fast as i could do it I think.

edit: not using genkernel either.

Linux Engineer
    and im not talking about installing kde or somthing here.. just the base system that you can reboot into.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast