Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What do these do exactly? The documentation on Gentoo.org is very confusing....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CFlags

What do these do exactly? The documentation on Gentoo.org is very confusing.

CFlags are baisc options which you pass to gcc in order to optimise code or to display warnings etc. For example, when compiling, it is always good to have the following syntax gcc -Wall *.c *.h. The -Wall tells gcc to display all warnings and errors to the console.

Similarly there are other flags which will optimise the code for certain machines such as ARM or even PPC. For more CFlags, type man gcc at the console.

Hope this helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    thanks. Just wondering cause I'm thinking of installing Gentoo again and I will have no idea what to put in as my CFlags. The last time I installed Gentoo, I broke portage by having a **** load of cflags.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Well, good luck with the next one! If you should encounter problems, try joining #linuxforums on freenode and ask there

Irssi lies on the livecd, and you might as well use knoppix or some other installed distro to install gentoo with if you want to.

Just Joined!
    How exactly do you install it from Knoppix?

Linux Engineer
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml

Look under "knoppix installation"

Just Joined!
    Thanks.

I installed Gentoo with no problems but later on Portage was being stupid so what did I do? I removed Gentoo.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by adamb10
    Thanks.

I installed Gentoo with no problems but later on Portage was being stupid so what did I do? I removed Gentoo.
    If portage was stupid, you could just remove portage and download a new portage snapshot

Just Joined!
    I did. I did emerge --sync followed by emerge --update world. I got a dependency issue and I said **** it. I used the install guide that required no internet so Portage never was really working.

I actually still have Gentoo on my hard drive but it is slated for removable tomorrow. If any of you wanna stop me from removing it I have 2 problems listed below that I cannot get to work.

Emerge --update world
    Sound

Gentoo is a great OS. Thi is the 1st time I did a Gentoo install with No errors.

Linux Engineer
    If you want to, you probably could make a clean install... About sound, either compile the OSS modules for your card into the kernel, or, as most peaple do, compile alsa-drivers for your card as modules, emerge "alsa-utils" and run alsaconf to auto-setup the soundcard for you. But just wondering, what exactly does portage complain about when you update?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast