Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
I know it's supposed to be in /boot/grub/, but it's not there. My system still boots fine, but I want to get to grub.conf so I can edit the OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Odessa, FL
    Posts
    586

    Where's grub.conf go?


    I know it's supposed to be in /boot/grub/, but it's not there. My system still boots fine, but I want to get to grub.conf so I can edit the OS entries...I have about 3 copies of the same kernel and 2 copies of windows xp. I think this problem came about because I used genkernel, but now I just want to find grub.conf so i can fix that.

    Any ideas where it might be? I tried searching the drive for "grub.conf", but it didn't come up with anything . When i searched for "grub" i found a file under /lib/ and folders under /sbin/ and /usr/portage/sys-boot/ but i didn't find any grub.conf files.

    I have a separate boot parition mounted at /boot, but that folder is empty .

    Can someone give me some suggestions of where it might be? Or, better yet, how my system boots with an empty boot partition and no grub.conf???

    I'm really confused...

  2. #2
    Linux Guru dylunio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    4,157
    Grub.conf can be in /boot/grub/ or in /etc/ somtimes it is called /boot/grub/menu.lst also.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

  3. #3
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Odessa, FL
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Grub.conf can be in /boot/grub/ or in /etc/ somtimes it is called /boot/grub/menu.lst also.
    Where would it be in /etc/ ? I've searched for "menu.lst" and it didn't find anything with that either. And my whole /boot/ directory is empty (even when I show hidden files).

    Thanks for the help

  4. #4
    Linux Guru anomie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,692
    Here is Gentoo grub documentation: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml

    See item #11.

  5. #5
    Linux Guru dylunio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    4,157
    when you say that your /boot directory is empty, I think it show that you have not mounted your boot partition in gentoo. So
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    mount /boot
    and it should mount the boot partition, in here look into the /boot/grub directory.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

  6. #6
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Odessa, FL
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    Here is Gentoo grub documentation: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml

    See item #11.
    hmm...that wasn't my exact problem, but apparently all i had to do was mount the boot partition . i thought the boot partition was always supposed to be mounted there? oh well...thanks a lot for the help

  7. #7
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Odessa, FL
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    when you say that your /boot directory is empty, I think it show that you have not mounted your boot partition in gentoo. So
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    mount /boot
    and it should mount the boot partition, in here look into the /boot/grub directory.
    yep, that was it

    isn't it supposed to mount at startup though? i'll go check /etc/fstab to see if i have it set up right. thanks for the help

    EDIT: checked /etc/fstab and it looks like it's set up right. oh well, no big deal...just something i'll have to keep in mind in the future when working with grub.conf

  8. #8
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,296
    /boot is mounted at boot only. as there is no reason to have it mounted during normal use it is unmounted as soon as possible (more secure that way and your less likly to have your kernel corrupted by some random file system failure or some **** :)

  9. #9
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Odessa, FL
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    /boot is mounted at boot only. as there is no reason to have it mounted during normal use it is unmounted as soon as possible (more secure that way and your less likly to have your kernel corrupted by some random file system failure or some ****
    alright, that makes sense

    *unmounts /root"

  10. #10
    Linux Engineer
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    *unmounts /root"
    I assume you meant /boot, since there's 1) no reason to keep /root alone 2) no reason to unmount it if it is alone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •