Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I know it's supposed to be in /boot/grub/, but it's not there. My system still boots fine, but I want to get to grub.conf so I can edit the OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Where's grub.conf go?

I know it's supposed to be in /boot/grub/, but it's not there. My system still boots fine, but I want to get to grub.conf so I can edit the OS entries...I have about 3 copies of the same kernel and 2 copies of windows xp. I think this problem came about because I used genkernel, but now I just want to find grub.conf so i can fix that.

Any ideas where it might be? I tried searching the drive for "grub.conf", but it didn't come up with anything . When i searched for "grub" i found a file under /lib/ and folders under /sbin/ and /usr/portage/sys-boot/ but i didn't find any grub.conf files.

I have a separate boot parition mounted at /boot, but that folder is empty .

Can someone give me some suggestions of where it might be? Or, better yet, how my system boots with an empty boot partition and no grub.conf???

I'm really confused...

Grub.conf can be in /boot/grub/ or in /etc/ somtimes it is called /boot/grub/menu.lst also.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Grub.conf can be in /boot/grub/ or in /etc/ somtimes it is called /boot/grub/menu.lst also.
    Where would it be in /etc/ ? I've searched for "menu.lst" and it didn't find anything with that either. And my whole /boot/ directory is empty (even when I show hidden files).

Thanks for the help

Here is Gentoo grub documentation: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml

See item #11.

when you say that your /boot directory is empty, I think it show that you have not mounted your boot partition in gentoo. So
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    mount /boot
    and it should mount the boot partition, in here look into the /boot/grub directory.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    Here is Gentoo grub documentation: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml

See item #11.
    hmm...that wasn't my exact problem, but apparently all i had to do was mount the boot partition . i thought the boot partition was always supposed to be mounted there? oh well...thanks a lot for the help

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    when you say that your /boot directory is empty, I think it show that you have not mounted your boot partition in gentoo. So
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    mount /boot
    and it should mount the boot partition, in here look into the /boot/grub directory.
    yep, that was it

isn't it supposed to mount at startup though? i'll go check /etc/fstab to see if i have it set up right. thanks for the help

EDIT: checked /etc/fstab and it looks like it's set up right. oh well, no big deal...just something i'll have to keep in mind in the future when working with grub.conf

Linux Engineer
    /boot is mounted at boot only. as there is no reason to have it mounted during normal use it is unmounted as soon as possible (more secure that way and your less likly to have your kernel corrupted by some random file system failure or some **** :)

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    /boot is mounted at boot only. as there is no reason to have it mounted during normal use it is unmounted as soon as possible (more secure that way and your less likly to have your kernel corrupted by some random file system failure or some ****
    alright, that makes sense

*unmounts /root"

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    *unmounts /root"
    I assume you meant /boot, since there's 1) no reason to keep /root alone 2) no reason to unmount it if it is alone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast