Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was just wondering if anyone has tried Ututo? It is based on Gentoo, and I'd like to know how good it is at hardware detection? I might try it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ututo?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried Ututo? It is based on Gentoo, and I'd like to know how good it is at hardware detection? I might try it out on my laptop, but I can't get much info on it as it's site is in spanish (according to distrowatch, it can be installed in english).

edit: I was a bit too hasty with thinking the site is only in spanish, the first site is but they have an english site as well. I'd still like to hear any thoughts on Ututo, if you have them
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux User

Re: Ututo?

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    I was just wondering if anyone has tried Ututo? It is based on Gentoo, and I'd like to know how good it is at hardware detection? I might try it out on my laptop, but I can't get much info on it as it's site is in spanish (according to distrowatch, it can be installed in english).

edit: I was a bit too hasty with thinking the site is only in spanish, the first site is but they have an english site as well. I'd still like to hear any thoughts on Ututo, if you have them
    I would guess the hardware detection should be about the same as Gentoo LiveCD. Why would you want to use Ututo? As in what does it have that makes it better then Gentoo?

I find this many distributions is idiotic is it is but this whole trend basing a distribution on another distribution is getting ridiculous. It offers nothing.

I was thinking about using it as Gentoo seems like a hard distro to install. Actually, I'm kind of worried about auto detection, my sound card for instance. As well as getting my pcmcia wireless to work (I am using Kanotix and Ndiswrapper right now).
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux User
    I was thinking about using it as Gentoo seems like a hard distro to install. Actually, I'm kind of worried about auto detection, my sound card for instance. As well as getting my pcmcia wireless to work (I am using Kanotix and Ndiswrapper right now).
    Do not be scared, it took me a few tries and I learned a great deal each time. Just follow the Gentoo Installation Handbook step by step and everything should be fine. LiveCD should detect most of your hardware no problem for the install. Once you do get to the kernel step note there is a section to compile it yourself or let genkernel do it.
    Code:
    # emerge gentoo-sources genkernel
    # genkernel all
    Is all you would have to do for Gentoo to compile the kernel with most modules thus letting all your hardware work. You will be able to recompile it once you will be feeling more comfortable with Linux.

They also have a whole section on how to setup your wireless, right in the instalattion handbook. Once you will be able to get the system up and running I will help you configure your sound card.

Do not be scared, check out the handbook and ask any questions you have and I will try to answer as much as possible.

Thanks a lot, you've given me some courage to try it out I've got a few exams to finish within the next few days, but I will be looking into Gentoo. Can you install it from the live CD? I gather stage 3 is the easiest to get up and running. I actually thought about it a few months ago but I was worried for my other partitions (I would first double boot with another distro, and if Gentoo worked out, I'd start using that).
    www.cloudyuseful.com

If you're still iffy about the install process for Gentoo, VidaLinux is based on Gentoo and offers a more "Redhat/Fedora-esque" graphical install sequence. You'll certainly learn more taking the long approach though.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Thanks a lot, you've given me some courage to try it out I've got a few exams to finish within the next few days, but I will be looking into Gentoo. Can you install it from the live CD? I gather stage 3 is the easiest to get up and running. I actually thought about it a few months ago but I was worried for my other partitions (I would first double boot with another distro, and if Gentoo worked out, I'd start using that).
    The whole installation is done from the LiveCD, stage3 is the easiest and the fastest way to install.

I have just started downloading the 'universal' install CD.

I'll be on another computer reading the documentation (which at first glance seems very good). One question: which CD is the live one? I see two instalation CD's, the stage CD's and the package CD on the mirror.

Oh, boy, at six percent already!

Edit: Ok, figured it out, it's in the guide...
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Both the Universal or the minimal are the live cd's,
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Well, I started the install and everything was going well, but when I started compiling the kernel, I got an error,
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
    or something along these lines

I tried again, this time going through the options for the kernel, and turning off all DMA, but I got the same error, only much faster this time.

Not sure what I'll do, I'd really like to have a source based distro on my laptop as it's a bit older (P3 800 mhz, 128 Mb ram) and I want to get the most out of it. I've got kanotix running now, it works fine, just a tad slow for my tastes...
    www.cloudyuseful.com