Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
yay! after running "emerge -N world" with the new use flag "dvdread", i can now see the chapters and everything . thanks a lot!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

yay! after running "emerge -N world" with the new use flag "dvdread", i can now see the chapters and everything . thanks a lot!

glad it's all sorted.

If i'd have seen the post after it didn't work, would have suggested re-merginf the deps with -N
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    I recently found a similar problem when trying to "emerge xmms-spc". I think the link to the mailing list is quite insightful, yet it doesn't give a final solution.

After "emerge --sync", i think i got a newer ebuild, but the error was still there. "emerge -uDN world" is not reasonable to me, and i really doubt it would fix it since xmms-spc doesn't have too many dependencies, so I had to find another way.

What i did was ^Z when emerge said "source unpacked", then I moved to the work directory and ran "libtoolize --copy --force". It warned about how «Using `AC_PROG_RANLIB' is rendered obsolete by `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'», then i fg'ed the running ebuild and it worked just fine.

I'm not sure it would work with more complex ebuilds, and i don't know if emerge has a less hackish way to do it -- in *BSD you may do something like "portinstall --patch someport" and it will unpack the sources, patch them and stop. From there you may do further patching then run portinstall again to resume. I tried patching from where the error stopped the ebuild, then running "emerge --resume xmms-spc" but it didn't work as I expected.

Sorry for bumping this old thread i found in Google...

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ratman
    I recently found a similar problem when trying to "emerge xmms-spc". I think the link to the mailing list is quite insightful, yet it doesn't give a final solution.

After "emerge --sync", i think i got a newer ebuild, but the error was still there. "emerge -uDN world" is not reasonable to me, and i really doubt it would fix it since xmms-spc doesn't have too many dependencies, so I had to find another way.

What i did was ^Z when emerge said "source unpacked", then I moved to the work directory and ran "libtoolize --copy --force". It warned about how «Using `AC_PROG_RANLIB' is rendered obsolete by `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'», then i fg'ed the running ebuild and it worked just fine.

I'm not sure it would work with more complex ebuilds, and i don't know if emerge has a less hackish way to do it -- in *BSD you may do something like "portinstall --patch someport" and it will unpack the sources, patch them and stop. From there you may do further patching then run portinstall again to resume. I tried patching from where the error stopped the ebuild, then running "emerge --resume xmms-spc" but it didn't work as I expected.

Sorry for bumping this old thread i found in Google...
    thanks a lot for the insight ...i'll keep that in mind if it comes up again

the way i kind of went around it (surprisingly it worked) was use the development tree and did "emerge -uDN world && emerge --emptytree world"

it seems to have fixed it (haven't run into another ebuild problem) but has caused other minor problems (all development packages instead...)

once again, thanks for bring that up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2