Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
im about to install gentoo on a laptop. any tips? thanks :P...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

about to install gentoo

im about to install gentoo on a laptop. any tips?
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Linux User
    Follow the handbook closely!

Linux User
    k i got a question:
    my processor is a pentinum m centrino thingy. which archetecture would that classify as?
    thanks
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User

oz
    forum.guy
    If you don't already know... it takes a long while for a full install due to the compiling of the source code. Be patient, or do something else while it happens for you.

Good luck!

Linux Enthusiast
    (If you don't have a hard/printed copy of the gentoo handbook)
    another hint...use ctrl+alt+f2, type "links", then push "esc" and follow until you get to gentoo.org. now look for the handbook and you can, if you feel comfortable (or if you don't have a printed copy) follow the handbook from a second screen. to get back to your original screen use ctrl+alt+f1.

you can use any of the f-keys f1 through f6 to change to other screens. if you don't have a printed copy, this is probably the easiest way to follow the handbook (unless you can follow from another computer ). and, as said before, follow it closely..don't skip ahead unless it says to.

good luck!

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    another hint...use ctrl+alt+f2, type "links", then push "esc" and follow until you get to gentoo.org. now look for the handbook and you can, if you feel comfortable (or if you don't have a printed copy) follow the handbook from a second screen. to get back to your original screen use ctrl+alt+f1.

you can use any of the f-keys f1 through f6 to change to other screens. if you don't have a printed copy, this is probably the easiest way to follow the handbook (unless you can follow from another computer ). and, as said before, follow it closely..don't skip ahead unless it says to.

good luck!
    There is a copy of the handbook right on the cd in both HTML and TXT formats.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes

good luck!
    There is a copy of the handbook right on the cd in both HTML and TXT formats.
    doh!

that would have helped A LOT!! lol

i never noticed

Linux Newbie
    Just to say ..... good luck to you ...

Linux Engineer
    1. You can use "links -driver fb" instead of just "links" to get to view images in the browser (graphically, not ascii-art), and to be able to browse with the mouse pointer.

2. I beleve a centrino is a i686 (everything above "pentium pro" is i686)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast