Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I want to check out Gentoo but I'm scared I might wipe off all my precious data. I tried to follow the guide included on the CD but it was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Gentoo : Quick Install Guide

I want to check out Gentoo but I'm scared I might wipe off all my precious data. I tried to follow the guide included on the CD but it was tooooooooooo long and had too much information. What I need is a "Quick Install" guide which will walk me through the basic steps of installing the base system, installing the desktop environment and configuring the network along with Firefox and enough tools so that I can get to this website.

Tell me how much time it'll take me to install the whole system. And also tell me how to use fdisk to partition my HDD. I've got 2 NTFS, one FAT32, one EXT3 and one Swap partition on an 80gig hdd. I need to wipe off the ext3 one so I can install Gentoo on it.

Can someone tell me in GRUB will autodetect Windows and add it to the boot menu or I'll have to do it manually?

This'll be the first time I'd be installing a Linux distro from source and entirely from command line, so I'm a bit nervous . I really need a step by step guide to help me.

Thanks in advance.
    Registered Linux User #394578

Linux Engineer
    I think the point of Gentoo is that it involves lots of reading and takes a long time. Most configuration is done manually; everything is compiled from source. So I'd recommend reading through the entire installation guide. If you don't have the time to do this, Gentoo probably isn't for you.

oz
    forum.guy

Re: Gentoo : Quick Install Guide

Quote Originally Posted by {MaX}
    Tell me how much time it'll take me to install the whole system.
    It takes me pretty much the entire weekend to do a stage1 install, and then get all my desired desktop/packages installed. Your time will depend on your skill level, the speed of your computer, which stage you install from, and the packages you choose to install.

Good luck with it!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you take the Gentoo handbook step-by-step everything will be explained.

The only step where I deviate from the handbook is when it says to use fdisk, I use cfdisk. IMO cfdisk is better than fdisk.

As for Grub/Gentoo doing anything for you like putting an entry in the Grub menu, you have to do all of that yourself. But the handbook will explain what to put in there.

There is a shortened version of the handbook, but this is recommended for experts only who are familiar with the choices they will have to make.

Or if you prefer to have a quick Gentoo install, checkout VidaLinux. This distro uses Anaconda Installer and you have a complete Gentoo installation. with X preconfigured for you.
    VidaLinux can be found at www.distrowatch.com
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux User
    Takes me about 24 hours to do stage3 with X, GNOME, and all the basic apps. (P4 2GHz 512ram)

Linux Newbie
    Well, I tried to install it but failed ..... BADLY!

First try : Everything goes all right until I delete hda7 instead of hda6 in fdisk and wipe of all my mp3s, software etc.

Second try : Everything goes all right until I try to install portage on my boot partition hda1 which is just 32 MB

Third try : I delete all the partitions coz I'd already lost all my data. Everything goes fine but grub.conf encounters an error (thanks to me, of course) and the OS refuses to boot. LILO doesn't install.

Fourth try : Everything goes fine. I boot into the system and forget to add the CDROM as a repository (or whatever that thing with all the software is called) and the KDE installation halts.

So, I go back to Ubuntu. But unfortunately, I've got Ubuntu Warty and a live CD of Ubuntu 5.10. How to install Ubuntu 5 from the live CD as I can't download the whole thing due to bandwidth restrictions?

I'll install Gentoo once my exams are over.

Can't you just do "emerge kde"?
    And use the internet to get kde.
    If kde is to large of a program to install you might want to look into xfce4, this is a very good Desktop Environment.

But if you really need to emerge from cd you should be able to do that without reinstalling.

I am not familiar with emerging from cd, but I am sure it can't be that difficult to configure.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

i believe u can use the package CD to install stuff (if u have one.)

to find out how look here

specifically at code listings 5 and 6.

I also believe you can add:
    Code:
    PKGDIR=/mnt/cdrom
    to your /etc/make.conf where /mnt/cdrom is where the packages are located.

However inorder for this to work, u will more than likely have to manually mount the CD before installing else it'll try and get off the net.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Newbie
    According to the handbook you can emerge package from CD source. But the one from gentoo site is always the latest version. To emerge from CD ....

#export PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom"

#emerge --usepkg <package>

Linux Newbie
    #export PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom"
    That's exactly what I forgot to do. Well, back to Ubuntu as I've got no more patience for Gentoo. I'll probably install it later, but I'll do it for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast