Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, i finished building my new computer, installed gentoo stage 1 with multiple software raids across 4 partitions on two hard drives, all of which was done with an old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

sata cdrom problems

ok, i finished building my new computer, installed gentoo stage 1 with multiple software raids across 4 partitions on two hard drives, all of which was done with an old ide cdrom drive pulled from a spare comp. reason: well my newfangled sata cdrom drive wasnt seen by the live cd, my mobo's bios knew it, was able to load the live cd, but when the live cd started loading modules and the like it wouldnt work. i predicted this, so i just used the ide one for the install. i found a site that breifly mentioned how to edit a file in the kernel source to half implement sata cdroms. i did the trick and it worked. my system sees my plextor cdrom drive as the ide version and uses the ide driver for it. i can mount it just fine. (although it took forever to find where its /dev was) (scd0 and sr0 ???) so i made a link from /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 to /dev/scd0. apparently, since i gave them both the same permisions and group, they act the same. however the real problem comes in with dvd palying. i use gmplayer. sometimes gmplayer just says it was unable to detect the device. sometimes it tries to play the dvd but freezes. occasionaly it will work perfectly. sometimes after using root to mount it it will increase your chance of playing the disk. its realy starting to bother me because i just cant understand what im doing wrong. im not shure if it is just the fact its a hacky way of enabeling the device or if im not setting something up right. ny user has cdrom privelegas as well as gmplayer. /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 and /dev/scd0 are both part of the cdrom group. i know the lord of the rings II disk will sometimes load while lotr I wont, sofar. is there something i can do?

also it cant burn. something about not being able to do something with the scsi buffer???
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

i know, its crazy isnt it.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA