Find the answer to your Linux question:
while I was making my "emerge world", an error came up which i didn't quite understand. I've googled it for a while but haven't been able to find anything. this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem emerging (--update) emacs

while I was making my "emerge world", an error came up which i didn't quite understand. I've googled it for a while but haven't been able to find anything. this is the error i got:

>>> Source unpacked.
    * econf: updating tiff-3.7.2/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
    * econf: updating tiff-3.7.2/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130 --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --without-x
    configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... Invalid configuration `i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130': machine `i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5' not recognized
    configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-20050130 failed

the only thing I could think of by i386-pc-linux...etc was my CHOST variable, when I checked it I remembered that since my installation was stage three, that variable was set by the system, and it is specified that we must not change it unless starting the installation from stage one... any ideas?

Linux Engineer
    comment out the CHOST line and emerge -u emacs remove the comment _REMEMBER TO DO THAT_ then proceed with the emerge world. It shoud be perfectly safe

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much, it worked perfectly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close