Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm having more and more problems with portage now and I'd like to, if possible, resolve them now before they might get any worse. My most recent problem is after ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Some portage problems...please help

I'm having more and more problems with portage now and I'd like to, if possible, resolve them now before they might get any worse.

My most recent problem is after I changed my USE-flags, but it doesn't seem like it's because of the USE-flag that the problem arised...it seems like it would have happened with or without the change. Well, anyways...I ran "emerge -uDN world" to update my system and re-emerge things that might change with the new USE-flags. The list came out to be quite large (83 packages), but I let the computer do its thing. My problem arose when emerging gnome-applets and this is what happens right before it stops:
    Code:
    main.c:210:39: pasting "&" and "LoadGraph" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:210:39: pasting "." and "cpuload" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:210:39: pasting "cpuload" and ")" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:211:39: pasting "&" and "LoadGraph" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:211:39: pasting "." and "memload" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:211:39: pasting "memload" and ")" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:212:40: pasting "&" and "LoadGraph" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:212:40: pasting "." and "swapload" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:212:40: pasting "swapload" and ")" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:213:39: pasting "&" and "LoadGraph" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:213:39: pasting "." and "netload" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:213:39: pasting "netload" and ")" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:214:39: pasting "&" and "LoadGraph" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:214:39: pasting "." and "loadavg" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    main.c:214:39: pasting "loadavg" and ")" does not give a valid preprocessing token
    make[3]: *** [main.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-applets-1.4.0.5/work/gnome-applets-1.4.0.5/multiload
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-applets-1.4.0.5/work/gnome-applets-1.4.0.5/multiload
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-applets-1.4.0.5/work/gnome-applets-1.4.0.5
    make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

!!! ERROR: gnome-base/gnome-applets-1.4.0.5 failed.
    !!! Function src_compile, Line 35, Exitcode 2
    !!! (no error message)
    !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.
    it just stops after that message. I had another problem earlier, but that was definately a USE-flag problem, as that's what the other error clearly stated. I don't know what "[all-recursive] Error #" means though . This isn't the first time I've seen an all-recursive error, as it's shown up a while back too, but I went around it by emerging some other that was essentially the same as the one I intended to emerge

My other error recently came up with Blender...this is what happens:
    Code:
    Assembler messages:
    FATAL: can't create /var/tmp/portage/blender-2.36-r1/work/build/linux2/source/ga
    meengine/GamePlayer/ghost/GPG_Application.o: No such file or directory

!!! ERROR: media-gfx/blender-2.36-r1 failed.
    !!! Function src_compile, Line 99, Exitcode 2
    !!! (no error message)

[color=red]comp[/color] [color=blue]josh[/color] # In file included from /usr/include/python2.3/Python.h:8,
                     from source/gameengine/Expressions/KX_Python.h:36,
                     from source/gameengine/Expressions/PyObjectPlus.h:42,
                     from source/gameengine/Ketsji/KX_Scene.h:52,
                     from source/gameengine/Ketsji/KX_KetsjiEngine.h:40,
                     from source/gameengine/GamePlayer/ghost/GPG_Application.cpp:74:
    /usr/include/python2.3/pyconfig.h:856:1: warning: "_POSIX_C_SOURCE" redefined
    In file included from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5-20050130/include/
    g++-v3/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bits/os_defines.h:39,
                     from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.5-20050130/include/
    g++-v3/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bits/c++config.h:35,
    g++-v3/bits/stl_algobase.h:64,
    g++-v3/vector:67,
                     from intern/string/STR_String.h:48,
                     from source/gameengine/GamePlayer/ghost/GPG_Application.h:35,
                     from source/gameengine/GamePlayer/ghost/GPG_Application.cpp:51:
    /usr/include/features.h:150:1: warning: this is the location of the previous def
    inition
    source/gameengine/GamePlayer/ghost/GPG_Application.cpp: In function `void 
       frameTimerProc(GHOST_ITimerTask*, long long unsigned int)':
    source/gameengine/GamePlayer/ghost/GPG_Application.cpp:812: warning: unused 
       parameter `GHOST_TUns64 time'
    intern/ghost/GHOST_ITimerTask.h: At global scope:
    intern/ghost/GHOST_ITimerTask.h:82: warning: inline function `virtual void* 
       GHOST_ITimerTask::getUserData() const' used but never defined
    cc1plus: Broken pipe: error writing to -
    I don't even know where to begin with this one. the last line caught my eye as it says something about a "broken pipe"....and I am using "-pipe" as one of my CFLAGS (not sure if that's really what it's talking about...but that was the only thing I could relate it to). I removed "-pipe" and tried emerging it again, but that didn't do any good....same error message.
    The first line in this error message caught my attention too ("FATAL:.....") as I did add game engine support to blender as one of my USE-flags (blender-game), but I also just removed it to see if that would help it install and it didn't change anything...same error once again. btw, i did get this error way before adding blender-game as a USE-flag.

These are just two examples, but two of them that are really bothering me.
    I'm also having trouble emerging drip (but I emerged dvdrip as a replacement instead), but...if you're interested, here's the output when I attempt to emerge drip:
    Code:
    *** Gentoo sanity check failed! ***
    *** libtool.m4 and ltmain.sh have a version mismatch! ***
    *** (libtool.m4 = 1.5.18, ltmain.sh = 1.4.2) ***

Please run:

libtoolize --copy --force

if appropriate, please contact the maintainer of this
    package (or your distribution) for help.

!!! ERROR: media-video/drip-0.8.1-r5 failed.
    !!! Function src_compile, Line 90, Exitcode 1
    !!! (no error message)
    I'm not sure if this one is relevant to the others, but I posted in hopes that someone might be able to see a common problem among them or that someone may be able to help me fix it.

Sorry for the incredibly long post, but I tried giving as much detail as I could find .

Thanks in advance

Linux User
    Not sure about most of these problems but as far as the problem with Blender goes, its a problem with glibs and Blender. Try doing this
    Code:
    FEATURES=-sandbox emerge blender
    See if that fix's that problem.

Also what happens when you run
    Code:
    and try to compile drip again?

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    Not sure about most of these problems but as far as the problem with Blender goes, its a problem with glibs and Blender. Try doing this
    Code:
    FEATURES=-sandbox emerge blender
    See if that fix's that problem.

Also what happens when you run
    Code:
    and try to compile drip again?

when i did "FEATURES=-sandbox emerge blender" i got the same error as before.

when i did "libtoolize --copy --force" i got:
    Code:
    comp josh # libtoolize --copy --force
    libtoolize: `configure.ac' does not exist
    Try `libtoolize --help' for more information.

Linux User
    Ill try to dig more for the other two problems but I found this thing about Gnome-Applets on Bugzilla.
    http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79314 download 'Updated ebuild using the proposed patch.' and see if that updated ebuild will work for you.

Linux Enthusiast
    Ill try to dig more for the other two problems but I found this thing about Gnome-Applets on Bugzilla.
    http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79314 download 'Updated ebuild using the proposed patch.' and see if that updated ebuild will work for you.
    that looks like it'll work

how do i make portage ignore the size difference? when i try to emerge it, it gives me an error saying the size isn't what was expected.

thanks a lot the help!

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes

how do i make portage ignore the size difference? when i try to emerge it, it gives me an error saying the size isn't what was expected.

thanks a lot the help!
    Did you do
    Code:
    ebuild filename.ebuild digest
    ? Perhaps that can cause the error about the size...

Linux Enthusiast

thanks a lot the help!
    Did you do
    Code:
    ebuild filename.ebuild digest
    ? Perhaps that can cause the error about the size...
    i'm starting to think i need to patch it too? how would i patch it also? i've never used the ebuild command before as everything i've needed so far has worked fine directly in portage using emerge

thanks so much for all your help

Linux User
    i'm starting to think i need to patch it too? how would i patch it also? i've never used the ebuild command before as everything i've needed so far has worked fine directly in portage using emerge

thanks so much for all your help
    The updated ebuild that you have downloaded from that website has the patch already applied. What you would do about this is put gnome-applets-1.4.0.5.ebuild into /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-applets and do the following
    Code:
    # cd /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-applets
    # ebuild gnome-applets-1.4.0.5.ebuild digest
    And that ebuild should be ready to be compiled with simple
    Code:
    # emerge gnome-applets-1.4.0.5.ebuild
    or if it is masked
    Code:
    # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gnome-applets-1.4.0.5.ebuild
    Also note that by now that drip error you have pasted has made it way to bugs.gentoo.org and perhaps we will have a solution in the near future. Meanwhile you may want to try
    Code:
    # ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge drip
    and see if the unstable version will work for you.

Linux Enthusiast
    Code:
    # emerge gnome-applets-1.4.0.5.ebuild
    hmm...ran into another error . i'm seeing a lot of different random errors and it's starting to get me worried .

this is what the it says:
    Code:
    >>> Unpacking source...
    >>> Unpacking gnome-applets-1.4.0.5.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/gnome-applets-1.4.0.5/work

* Cannot find $EPATCH_SOURCE!  Value for $EPATCH_SOURCE is:
     *   /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-applets/files/main.patch
     *   ( main.patch )

!!! ERROR: gnome-base/gnome-applets-1.4.0.5 failed.
    !!! Function epatch, Line 217, Exitcode 0
    !!! Cannot find $EPATCH_SOURCE!
    that's why i brought up the patch thing earlier (it's been a little while since i messed with it, so i wasn't even sure how to find the error...but it looks like we found it).

thanks again!

Linux Enthusiast
    ok, to update my system, i removed the "gnome" use-flag (as i don't use gnome anyways and it seemed to cause problems) and this got rid of the gnome-applets error. i tried updating again, but got an error with gtk-perl, so i masked the newest stable version and now it updated fine.

i'm still not sure what the problem is though

EDIT: ran into a problem...seems like it might be simple to fix, but how would i?
    Code:
    josh # emerge -puDN world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
    [blocks B     ] media-libs/libcddb (is blocking media-sound/xmcd-3.3.2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast