Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello I am currently installing Gentoo on my box but after I chroot I can no longer use screen (mainly it boots me from editing files and launching other screens). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Troubles with VT's and Screen while chrooting in install

Hello I am currently installing Gentoo on my box but after I chroot I can no longer use screen (mainly it boots me from editing files and launching other screens). My Virtual Terminals are also messed up. When I do Ctrl+Alt+F1 it says the keys are unknown and it says to use the setkeycodes command. I had no idea what keycode I was supposed to use so I just entered in "(chroot#)setkeycodes" to get more info and it said the setkeycodes command was not found I really would like the guide sitting elsewhere in another terminal so that I can copy and paste stuff with ease. I'm building up a stage 1 right now and I just did "emerge --emptytree" or something to build the system files so it'll be a while before I need to start worrying, but what happens when I need to edit my bootloader config? I have already skipped editing USE in /etc/make.conf and my locales because nano refuses to open because my chroot environment cannot use screen because screen is technically not there. I emerged gcc and screen but screen still will not open under chroot. What should I do in this situation? I certainly can't finish the install like this.. Thanks for the help.
    Registered Linux user #393103

I can only guess that because you arre chroot'ing, you no longer have access to your xorg.conf. Have you tried copying your X config files to a suitable location under your new chroot location? i.e. you chroot to /newlocation then add the xorg.conf to /newlocation/etc/X11/ and see of that works.

Oh man I'm retarded sometimes.

I just bought this new Logitech keyboard and there's a new option called "F-Lock" in which if you do not press it then the F keys will not work (hence the VT's refused to open..) quite irritating at times, and the f-lock key is at an odd place to look so you kinda have to search around a bit for it.
    Registered Linux user #393103