Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
hmm...this thread really got me thinking and now i'm taking a few steps to also tweak my system (i had tons of use flags, but wanted to try something a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

hmm...this thread really got me thinking and now i'm taking a few steps to also tweak my system (i had tons of use flags, but wanted to try something a little more direct).

i've been using ccache for a while (speeds up compiling a lot), i'm now running "emerge --emptytree", and then i will set up prelinking (which seems to speed up loading times of programs a lot).

link to prelinking: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/prelink-howto.xml

Well I just read the Gentoo Wiki page by page, I learned a lot today.

The emerge --emptytree is now on package 287 out of 330, whoo.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Lucky bum...

I'm on 19 out of 411 .

But thanks to you all for posting this. This may open me to the world of modding . If nothing else, I can at least get faster compilation times. Which is always good.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OK, so here's my new and update /etc/make.conf:
    Code:
    # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built$# Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
    CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -pipe -O3"
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    MAKEOPTS="-j3"
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/di$SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
    FEATURES="distlocks ccache"
    CCACHE_SIZE="2G"
    PORTAGE_NICENESS="15"
    I think that it's still a bit minimal but it's looking good, afterwards I ran emerge -e world and now I'm doing emerge -e system, when this is all through the compile times will be faster? I just hope I didn't waste an entire day doing emerge -e world. what exactly does this do, and how often should I run it?
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux Enthusiast

my "emerge --emptytree world" is taking foreverrr

i'm on 84 of 616 and it's been doing this for over 7 hours now

it's far enough in to make me want to keep going, but at this pace it may well take all of tomorrow to finish

So, last night, I hit an error.

Apparently, my kernel was not sufficiently configured for svgalib. I dunno what that means, since my kernel is quite configured, thank you.

So I get to start over! YAY!!!

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    So, last night, I hit an error.

Apparently, my kernel was not sufficiently configured for svgalib. I dunno what that means, since my kernel is quite configured, thank you.

So I get to start over! YAY!!!
    with "emerge --emptytree"?

you can do "emerge --resume --emptytree" to start where you were. i also hit an error (i didn't have gnome support enabled for pygtk??..apparently it's needed by porthole), so i unmerged porthole and did "emerge --resume --emptytree" to start where i was.

...now you tell me . I'm at work now. Grrrr.

Yeah, I unmerged libsvga, so hopefully it'll work this time.

Also, I enabled ccache just before doing the emerge --emptytree, so hopefully it will get back to that point much faster.

Linux Enthusiast
    hmm..ran into a problem (seems related to this thread).

i ran "emerge --emptytree"...not a problem. i'm using ccache also, which is nice because it will have cached everything installed on my systme .

anyways...onto the problem. every time it does:
    Code:
    * Adjusting permissions on ccache in /root/.ccache
    it takes forever to do it. i mean, literally 5-10 minutes each time and it does this roughly 4 times per emerge. i have over 450 to go and i will be wasting a lot of time waiting for it to do this.

i've also noticed that my harddrive goes crazy when it does that. i'm not sure what's wrong...

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by josolanes
    hmm..ran into a problem (seems related to this thread).

i ran "emerge --emptytree"...not a problem. i'm using ccache also, which is nice because it will have cached everything installed on my systme .

anyways...onto the problem. every time it does:
    Code:
    * Adjusting permissions on ccache in /root/.ccache
    it takes forever to do it. i mean, literally 5-10 minutes each time and it does this roughly 4 times per emerge. i have over 450 to go and i will be wasting a lot of time waiting for it to do this.

i've also noticed that my harddrive goes crazy when it does that. i'm not sure what's wrong...
    fixed it...seemed easy enough. i just gave everyone full access to this directory so that it doesn't have to change permissions . it also seems like ccache is caching more than it used to (i emerge over 100 things before and was at around 800 megs of cache...now it's caching a lot more than it used to)

background on this...i had trouble getting ccache to work with emerge before and someone suggested changing the ccache directory to /root/.ccache. apparently emerge didn't have the permissions necessary to access it and would waste a lot of time trying to, so i gave everyone full access to this directory (regardless of whatever security risks there may be) and now it's running through the emerges without even showing that message

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast