Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello I have a fresh Gentoo Stage 1 install - Portage is up to date and the world was updated last night, perfectly capable of tweakage. My plans are to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A fully tweaked Gentoo system

Hello I have a fresh Gentoo Stage 1 install - Portage is up to date and the world was updated last night, perfectly capable of tweakage. My plans are to mod out Gentoo as far as I can without breaking anything . My /etc/make.conf is quite bare, and I believe I only have gcc 3.3.4 (I think that's it). Can I take bits and pieces out of the Stage 1/3 Install found here?
    I also found a Gentoo "Ricing" Guide which might prove to be helpful, it can be found here Should I take pieces of these guides to mod out my /etc/make.conf file? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Re: A fully tweaked Gentoo system

Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    I also found a Gentoo "Ricing" Guide which might prove to be helpful, it can be found here Should I take pieces of these guides to mod out my /etc/make.conf file? Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    Considering the opening part of that guide, probably not...

Intro: This is not to be taken seriously, but some might think it is. Do not be fooled. This is meant to be humorous in the spirit of funroll-loops. I will, however, be attempting to write the first couple parts as though it were serious (and, of course, as though I were not me). Mostly, the point of this post is for humor, but also to show some people what not to do and how to not do it (covered in the third and final part).
    Personally, I don't care much for modding. I'm happy with my box .

Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Hello I have a fresh Gentoo Stage 1 install - Portage is up to date and the world was updated last night, perfectly capable of tweakage. My plans are to mod out Gentoo as far as I can without breaking anything . My /etc/make.conf is quite bare, and I believe I only have gcc 3.3.4 (I think that's it). Can I take bits and pieces out of the Stage 1/3 Install found here?
    for use flags check out /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc and use.local.desc respectively.
    As for "modding it", what do you mean?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Although, in all seriouesness if you have the time and speed to spare, -O9 could be interesting, but its depreciated now, -O3 will rock your socks though. My recommendation is -O2 or 1 during the bootstrap and initial compile, then rebuild the toolchain with 3

emerge glibc gcc binutils

then

emerge sync && emerge --empty-tree world
    (I think thats the command, been a while since gentoo)

you've got a good 2-3 days of compileage, but, with a prelink you might find an impressive speedboost. Of course, if you machine is really old (and your highlevel caches are way small) then you could get hit with a HUGE decrease (ie, little programs don't fit in the L2 cache, or larger programs like X won't run out of RAM, but if your sporting something built in the last 4 or 5 years with 256 or 512, then your in for a treat )
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    Although, in all seriouesness if you have the time and speed to spare, -O9 could be interesting, but its depreciated now, -O3 will rock your socks though. My recommendation is -O2 or 1 during the bootstrap and initial compile, then rebuild the toolchain with 3
    I build everything -O5

OK thanks for the tips guys, especially to qub333, I will try that out soon when I can.

What I meant by modding is that I basically want things to go a bit faster, I should have been more clear though. I saw the Ricing guide as mainly a joke but the part where he edits his /etc/make.conf sort of interested me and I thought that, that specific part was legit I dunno.

For use flags check out /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc and use.local.desc respectively.
    I'd also modify your MAKEOPTS to something between -j2 and -j4 and CFLAGS to include "-pipe" and anywhere between "-O2" and "-O5" depending on how good your computer is.

OK, I've been kinda leading you guys in the dark here so I emerged Gnome last night which has Mozilla so here's my /etc/make.conf
    Code:
    # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically built this stage
    # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example
    CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -pipe -O2"
    CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    MAKEOPTS="-j2"
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/"
    SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
    ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
    FEATURES="distlocks"
    I will try the stuff you guys said in a few hours - for now I must write an essay for summer school.

EDIT: Also on how good my computer is - Athlon 2600+, 1GB of Crucial RAM (only listed parts of hardware that are useful for compiling stuff)

woot, essay is done.

OK, I changed my /etc/make.conf to -O3 and for the makeopts to be -j3, I ran source /etc/profile thing and then I emerged gcc and all of that (found that trick in the stage 3/1 guide as well as qubb) and then I ran
    Code:
    emerge sync && emerge --emptytree world
    and now it has 330 packages to update.. better go watch a long movie like Lord of the Rings.

Linux Newbie
    I use caching compilation with ..... ccache .... and it speeds things up quite a bit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast