Find the answer to your Linux question:
If so, will you let me know....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Has anyone done an install using software raid?

If so, will you let me know.

yes, im running it right now.
    its full on software raid. i used a tool called mdadm to do it, just do a google search for something like "gentoo raid wiki" or something and you can find a few guides. there is also mdtools, that one does the same stuff but requires a config file and is rely being replaced by mdadm.

there is also psudo hardware raid. also know as microsoft raid. its that thing that works like hardware raid but realy is software. i think you use a tool called fakeraid or something. i realy dont like this way because

1. its harder
    2. its kinda retarded (it was designed to work with windows )
    3. you cant raid partitions, just the entire disk
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Just Joined!
    well, I've been trying to set up gentoo doing the fakeish type raid so I could dual boot with windows, but I'm pretty sure I'm sick of trying that. I've used the dmsetup and dmraid tools. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now, probably give it one last try and then quit.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    us mdadm. its crazy good. just llok up guides on how to use it. also, make shure you are setting your hard drive boot type to raid autodetect instead of the default setting when in fdisk. otherwise, the raid wont word as the raid uses special sections of the partitions to give identifiying information for the raid to start at boot. also, you cannot hae your /boot directory on anything other than raid 1, or else there will be nothing to know how to boot the kernel.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Just Joined!
    lol, too late I used dmsetup/dmraid so I could dual boot with windows on the raid array AND I FINALLY DID IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFourthBeast
    lol, too late I used dmsetup/dmraid so I could dual boot with windows on the raid array AND I FINALLY DID IT!!!!
    I'm currently trying to do this (although with SUSE, not gentoo), and was wondering if you could explain how you accomplished this?

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode