Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm relatively new to the Linux world (I've been working with Debian for the last few weeks, and have gotten the hang of it). I've seen what Gentoo can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Moving on to Gentoo

Hi, I'm relatively new to the Linux world (I've been working with Debian for the last few weeks, and have gotten the hang of it). I've seen what Gentoo can do and have decided that I'd like to give it a shot, but I don't think I'm experienced enough. How long do you think I should wait before I give it a shot?

Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    It really depends on you and how much you want it.

The worst thing about installing Gentoo is the time it takes to get the base system and all desired packages compiled. The rest of it is just knowing your hardware and then reading the installation handbook and being sure to follow it step-by-step. Having some idea about your desired partitioning scheme is good, too.

Some first-timers get it on the first try, while many others might try it 5 or 6 times before getting it, and then many others just give up.

If you really want it, and you know you do... you can do it!

Good luck with it...

I'd say go for it. No time like the present.
    When and if you get stuck just come back and ask a question.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I didn't find the installation too difficult. Basically, just follow the Handbook EXACTLY.

Also, I highly recommend doing it through Knoppix, so as to allow for a GUI and graphical Internet access:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap3