Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How long should I expect roughly on a dell inspiron laptop with P4? How does it compare to other distro installations....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How long for a stage 3 install

How long should I expect roughly on a dell inspiron laptop with P4? How does it compare to other distro installations.
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Linux Newbie
    Just finished with it. It is still probably more difficult than other distro's installations, but if you follow the instructions that gentoo.org provides then it's a piece of cake. On a 2.4 ghz dell inspiron laptop it still took me the better part of a day, but I took many breaks, left the house etc. in between.

The times will vary for each individual.
    How fast can you type ACCURATELY.
    On my pc, 2.8 Ghz Celeron proc with a Gb of ram. I could do a Stage 3 install in 4 hours.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    i did a stage3 with all grp packages in about 45 minnits just to see how fast it could be done, but i have used gentoo for a long time so untill you get more experiance it will take you more like an hour and a half if you use prebuild packages, longer if you dont. stage 1 will take a few days.

Ok, so say I make the time investment and go forward with the the install, whatever stage I decide. Is there a way to create a backup so if something happens and my system totally dies, I can create a quick reinstall that is essentially already built that would not have to recompile everything.
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Linux Engineer
    Your system usually don't "just die" unless you do something with it, and if you do oyu would probably prefer to boot up a livecd, mount the partitions, chroot into the gentoo install, fix the reason for it "dying", leave the chroot enviroment, unmount the partitions and finally reboot without the livecd instead of doing a new install...

The closest thing you could come to a quick install after the initial install. Would be to, during the initial install, write down the commands as you put them into the system.

Then when you want to install again, just refer to your "written down commands.

For me this is where a good deal of time is spent, reading the handbook, getting the command.
    Some of the commands are long, and you will want to make sure that you get them right.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

I dunno but i bet it would be as fast as i could type, this box installed stage1 with ffx and x in 4h49m
    x86_64 AMDAthlon64 Processor 3400+
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    I'm up to 15 hrs and 45mins!

Linux User
    my first install too several days to work most of the worst knots out.... im still working on some smaller ones now like wireless networking and sound...
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast