Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know why when I boot Gentoo my internet doesn't work? It works during install, but not after I reboot with GRUB. Thanks....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

eth0 problem during Gentoo boot ("netmount" was not started.)

Does anyone know why when I boot Gentoo my internet doesn't work? It works during install, but not after I reboot with GRUB.

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    1. Did you compile the driver into the kernel, or as a module? If as a module, try compiling it into the kernel to spare the need to auto-load it at boot anyway.

2. Did you configure dhcpcd the way statened in the handbook? (In the newest gentoo, a black /etc/conf.d/net should give you DHCP by default, but you can also use this in that file:

Code:
    iface_eth0="dhcp"
    dhcpcd_eth0="-HDN"
    And last - but not least - you did compile the right driver, right?

Just Joined!
    You know what, I probably didn't compile it in the kernel. I did specify it in the /etc/conf.d/net though. I'll try that and then we'll see if that works. Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Also remember that if you use lilo, you need to run /sbin/lilo again after the kernel compile... Grub should automaticly use the new kernel.

Linux Engineer
    did you emerge the networking tools you would need before quitting the live cd? dhcpcd for example..