Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried 3 times to install Gentoo 2005.1 stage 3 from the universal CD and seemed to have failed. I have 2 questions - when I reboot all I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install failed again

I have tried 3 times to install Gentoo 2005.1 stage 3 from the universal CD and seemed to have failed.

I have 2 questions - when I reboot all I get is a blinking curser no sign of Grub. I followed the Gentoo handbook to the letter. Is this just a fault with the Grub config?
    When starting the instalation I have the option to disable framebuffer support I have googled this and can't seem to find what it is for (I did not choose this option)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Here is what I've got to put it on-

Athlon 2000xp
    Maxtor SATA 120gig HDD
    Chaintech CT-7NJS Ultra MoBo
    512Mb Ram
    Panasonic 109 DVD writer
    GE Force MX400/64Mb Graphics
    LCD Monitor

Well, I used Knoppix for my install, so I dunno about the framebuffer thing.

One question: have you tried using LILO instead of GRUB? Because if you set up LILO and that works, then it may be a GRUB issue.

With those specs, you can definitely do it...

If you want some GRUB help, post your menu.lst (I think that's the file, or is it grub.conf?) and the output of:

Code:
    fdisk -l

Just Joined!
    I've read about using Knoppix to install Gentoo - what is the advantage?

Well, firstly, you get a GUI for the whole thing, which is nice. Easier to read the docs through Firefox than through lynx.

Also, for me it was important because my wireless card requires ndiswrapper to work. Since you need Internet in order to install gcc, and you need gcc in order to install ndiswrapper, I was kinda stuck. But Knoppix has ndiswrapper built-in. I later found out that you can do a Stage1 offline anyway.

Anyway, if you're interested:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap3

Linux Engineer
    you didnt install grub properly. the noframe buffer thing is not important, you can ignore it unless the live cd fails to load properly, it has nothing to do with the actual installation.

Simply put in the install cd and 'chroot' into your installed system and fix grub or grub.conf
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org