Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I have edited the first post on this subject to display what actually seems to boot. The problem I have seems to lie in the statement ramdisk=8192 my previous post ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I have edited the first post on this subject to display what actually seems to boot. The problem I have seems to lie in the statement ramdisk=8192 my previous post explains this further.
    The '=' in the title seems to work correctly. IE I get the grub boot menu now with the correct title and when I click on it it actually starts the boot sequence.

Just Joined!
    I can confirm that (sd0,0) does not work. Even though I have no IDE drives installed, and /dev/sda1 is my root, GRUB will prefer (hd0,0) regardless.

This is due to the device mappings in /boot/grub/device.map

Athlon 2800XP (1GB)
    kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r10

Just Joined!
    I had a similar issue, and in my case it was fixed by editing fstab.

/hda/BOOT, /hda/SWAP, and /hda/ROOT (or in your case sda) need to be changed to their respective partitions.

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Thank-you for the suggestions. I am able to boot now after recompiling the kernel with support for my SATA controller. My problem now is I don't seem to be able to find any kernel modules...

Code:
    find /lib/modules/<kernel version>/ -type f -iname '*.o' -or -iname '*.ko'
    gives me nothing

I realized this while troubleshooting my eth0 being not found. It is a Tulip compatible NIC, and I have support in the kernel for it. (Live install CD detected it fine).

Also, my kernel seems rather small (even though it boots to a login fine) it is 2048KB or so. Is this OK?

Linux Guru
    Pardon me for asking what to many will be obvious, but you did replace "<kernel version>" with the filename of your kernel? Did you see what other directories are under /lib/modules/ ?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Thank-you for asking.

I had used tab-autocomplete to find my modules dir. There were other folders in there, but I didn't look in there. Unfortunately I am not there right now to double-check. I will be able post a short list of the path and contents in about 6hours. (when start work at home )

When I built the kernel I used:
    Code:
    make && make modules_install
    Was there anything else that I needed to do?

I will look into /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and check what is in here as well. If it is empty, I will be at a loss as to what to do next.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Prince
    I will look into /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 and check what is in here as well. If it is empty, I will be at a loss as to what to do next.
    Well, if you used 'tab-autocomplete' and got a valid completion, then that should have been good. That is, if that's the case and it is empty, I too will be at a loss....
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2