Find the answer to your Linux question:
what would be the best way to add some more options into the kernel (with make menuconfig) without reinstalling gentoo?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

modify kernel?

what would be the best way to add some more options into the kernel (with make menuconfig) without reinstalling gentoo?
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Erm...

You have the kernel sources downloaded, right? You need to, in order to install. If for some reason you don't, just "emerge gentoo-sources".

So just do (as root):

Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig
    That'll bring it up and you can do whatever you want.

Linux Engineer
    the easiest way to add some support to the kernel without recompilation is through loading modules... if the driver you need can be loaded as a module, just do this:
    Code:
    modprobe <module-name>
    do not add the module extension to the filename.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux User
    [quote="Cabhan"]Erm...

You have the kernel sources downloaded, right? You need to, in order to install. If for some reason you don't, just "emerge gentoo-sources".

So just do (as root):

Code:
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig
    That'll bring it up and you can do whatever you want.[/quote

then what do i do after this?
    Code:
    make && make_modules
    ?

and reboot? this shouldnt mess anythng i have installed up will it?
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Well, it depends...

Any external modules will need to be recompiled. So, for example, after I recompile my kernel, I do:

Code:
    emerge ndiswrapper nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx
    If you've updated to a new kernel version, you also need to change the /usr/src/linux symlink BEFORE recompiling the modules.

Some features may break others. For example, I can't turn on support for console framebuffer devices because if I do, I can't start the X Server.

However, assuming that you don't deactivate anything important, nothing should break. And even if it does, the old kernel image should still be sitting in boot so you can always just boot into that one.

And what kernel type are you doing? If it's 2.6 (as it should be), you cna just configure your kernel and run

Code:
    make install
    That compiles the changes only, and will automatically move everything to the appropriate place. Also, if you use LILO, it automatically updates LILO for you.