Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm having a problem getting Gentoo installed on a software RAID 0 setup. I used the Linux software raid (mdadm) and installed by the handbook (substituting /dev/md* where appropriate) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

SATA RAID installation problem

Hi, I'm having a problem getting Gentoo installed on a software RAID 0 setup. I used the Linux software raid (mdadm) and installed by the handbook (substituting /dev/md* where appropriate) up until the boot loader config. Lilo flips out when I try to configure it telling me it only supports RAID 1, and I can't get grub to work. Has anyone installed Gentoo on RAID 0, or does anyone have any ideas? I've done some googling but I'm stumped.

Banned
    You might want to try a stage 2 or 3 install, as there might be a preconfigured grub installation that works with RAID 0. If that doesn't work, or you don't want to do that, you'll need to talk to one of the grub gurus around here. They're the only ones who seem to care enough about bootloaders to know about custom configurations for grub. I'm sorry to say I can't offer much past that. I don't claim to know more about this than you do. Also try the grub web site:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Or the Gentoo site:

http://www.gentoo.org/

One of those probably have the information you need.

ive done it, the key is that your /boot directory cannot be on a raid 0 or raid 5. after all, how would the computer know how to work the raid 0 wihout the kernal that rests in the raid 0. raid 1 is just copies of eachother, so you can put /boot on raid 1. this is why lilo says raid 1 only, because lilo can only support raid one. the kernel will support all the other raids you use.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Could you post or send me your lilo.conf or grub config file (or just the part relavent to raid 0)? I tried putting the boot partition on a regular old IDE drive but stll got lilo complaining about RAID. Thanks.