Find the answer to your Linux question:
what is the difference between the 3 gentoo stages?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar

Stage difference

what is the difference between the 3 gentoo stages?

Well, as a basic overview, Stage 1 is the most optimized, Stage 3 is the least.

The only differences are in the installation. A Stage 1 installation will have you build EVERYTHING specially for your computer. This includes gcc and everything. You are given absolutely nothing.

Stage 2 takes care of the bootstrapping process (so you get gcc, glibc, etc.), but the rest is all done from scratch.

Stage 3, I believe, gives some generalized install stuff, some stuff precompiled. It's the fastest by far of the installations.

I don't hear much about Stage 2 installs, most people do either a 1 or a 3.

There's a basic overview at:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=1&chap=2

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are trying to make up your mind on which one to install, I always recommend going stage 1 because it's not any more difficult to do than the other stages. It's just more steps and a few more hours of installation time.

Good luck with it...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    If you are trying to make up your mind on which one to install, I always recommend going stage 1 because it's not any more difficult to do than the other stages. It's just more steps and a few more hours of installation time.

Good luck with it...
    Actually it's easier to do a stage 3->1. This way you can have a running system in the time it takes to 'emerge xorg-x11 irssi mozilla-firefox'. Then you can 'emerge -e world' with your modified configuration.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Actually it's easier to do a stage 3->1. This way you can have a running system in the time it takes to 'emerge xorg-x11 irssi mozilla-firefox'. Then you can 'emerge -e world' with your modified configuration.
    That's called "cheating"...

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    A Stage 1 installation will have you build EVERYTHING specially for your computer. This includes gcc and everything.
    This depends on what CFLAGS you use, if you use the default CFLAGS, this won't matter... But if you spesify for example -march=yourcpu and -O2/-O3 and -m3dnow (last one only for amd), then it will be built for your hardware. I will advise you to inspect the GCC online manual while entering the CFLAGS, looking for for mainly the -m-flags (machine-dependant) and -f-flags (machine-undepended, found in "Optimizations" section)

And about stage2, I did it twice... In addition to about 9 stage3-installs and 4 stage1-installs (thought not all of them were sucsessfull, but most of them... If it don't work, dont give up just reboot in the livecd and try fixing whatever's wrong

I always thought the point of a Stage1 was doing your own CFLAGS? If you're not going to, then you may as well do a Stage2 or Stage3...

Lately I have been a fan of Stage 1/3 where you use a stage 3 tarball but you tweak GCC a lot and mess with lots of stuff to make it actually go faster than a stage 1, you have lots of stuff in your /etc/make.conf file and it takes longer than a standard stage 1 install but I think that it's pretty worth it..
    Registered Linux user #393103

I would do a stage 3->1. None of those other methods will make a hill of beans difference unless you also compile your own kernel that is hardware specific to your box. If this is not your plan then it is pointless to get overly involved in some other grand install scheme. Basically just a waste of time.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.