Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Gentoo on my new acer 5002LMi laptop, and everything works as expected except for DNS. I can ping any IP address I want to, but domain names ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DNS appears broken [SOLVED]

I just installed Gentoo on my new acer 5002LMi laptop, and everything works as expected except for DNS. I can ping any IP address I want to, but domain names simply don't work. Here is /etc/resolve.conf:
    Code:
     search
    nameserver 192.168.2.1
    #edited to fix my mistake of not including "nameserver"
    192.168.2.1 is the IP of my home network's router. I've also tried it without the "search" line. By the way, being a newbie, I don't know what other files could affect DNS. Please help me fix it, or at least tell me where to look!

Try:
    Code:
    nameserver 192.168.2.1
    search Router

Just Joined!
    I just found out about dhcpcd overwriting resolv.conf whenever eth0 is running. I modified /etc/conf.d/net It now reads:

Code:
    ifconfig_eth0=( "dhcp" )
    dhcpcd_eth0="-h hbraun -G 192.168.2.1"
    dhcp_eth0="nodns"
    But even with the "nodns" it still overwrites resolv.conf. So I can't change anything.

Just Joined!

Some more info

My gentoo installation disk (which can use DNS) is using the exact same settings: DHCP with 192.168.2.1 as the nameserver, no search line, no nothing. But it works! What gives? Right now I'm working around it by looking up IP addresses on another computer and then putting them in my hosts file. In this way I can still get to a mirror and download packages. There's no way my /etc/hosts could be messing up my DNS, is there? Anyway, the next thing I'll try is emerging livecd-tools and using net-setup to configure eth0. Maybe that will automatically deal with whatever is causing this.

Just Joined!
    I've had it using 192.168.2.1 by default to before

Just Joined!
    The problem has fixed itself after I emerged links. It appears that I was missing some package that links depended on, and when it installed it fixed the DNS. Sorry to trouble everybody. Now if I can find out which package it was....