Find the answer to your Linux question:
when i boot the cd it logs me in as root and i dont know what to type to install it. I want to partion my harddrive and i am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar

Gentoo 2005.0 Help

when i boot the cd it logs me in as root and i dont know what to type to install it. I want to partion my harddrive and i am currently using suse 9.3. also i want a stage 1 install.

Have fun, I hope you have plenty of time set aside for the install.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...ndbook-x86.xml

Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar
    i know about that but i want someone to acctually post what to do. anyways that would be kind of hard to do. i cant look at the manual and install it at the same time. unless someone can tell me how. i mean i cant really understand anyof those instruction because it says alot of usless stuff and when i browse over it it isnt that usless looking and i think i need it and yea you all get the idea. i would print the manual but i have no printer

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You can always print the manual.

Just Joined!
    An html manual should be included on the Gentoo CD, or at least it was on my amd64 universal 2005.0 disk. It will tell you how to view the manual in the message it displays right before the prompt. The command is "links /mnt/cdrom/docs/handbook/html/index.html" or something very similar; I'm too lazy to find out for sure. You can go to a different shell by pressing alt+f2 and open the manual there. Then go back to the original shell with alt+f1 when it's time to type your commands. Hope that helps a little, and good luck. I've only done a stage3 install and I still haven't worked out all the kinks, but then I'm a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by crashandburn0420
    i mean i cant really understand anyof those instruction because it says alot of usless stuff and when i browse over it it isnt that usless looking and i think i need it and yea you all get the idea.
    There really aren't any shortcuts or a "better" way.
    Make friends with the install handbook.

You can also search the Gentoo Docs & Forums.
    There is a method to install Gentoo via Knoppix.

This would allow you access to the handbook online
    during the installation.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by TauLepton
    It will tell you how to view the manual in the message it displays right before the prompt. The command is "links /mnt/cdrom/docs/handbook/html/index.html" or something very similar; I'm too lazy to find out for sure. You can go to a different shell by pressing alt+f2 and open the manual there. Then go back to the original shell with alt+f1 when it's time to type your commands.
    That's about what u need to do hehe.

Or you can view the handbook online using links (if u have the net connection setup ok)

What i did though was to copy and paste the whole handbook into openoffice and print it off.

Things like that i much prefer to read from paper.

The other thing you could do if you have network setup, and a couple of computers is to install it over SSH which means you can look at the handbook online using a proper browser like Firefox or similar. but also have the shell open for installing.

There'll obviously be a couple of times you will need direct access, but iirc, most of the isntall process could be done over ssh
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327